Thank you, Maine Sail

Jun 13, 2005
Hunter 30_74-83 Fowl River, AL
I posted this last night on the "Ask All Sailors" forum, thinking I would reach the largest audience. Then I realized that I could post it directly on "Musings with Maine Sail".

Thank you Maine Sail

I was experiencing a badly leaking stuffing box on my 1982 Hunter 30 (It was a steady stream of incoming water, and my bilge pump was pumping about every 5 minutes). I visited MaineSails' site, and saw his illustrated, step-by-step instructions for the repair. After studying the detailed instructions, buying the proper tools (Irwin GrooveLock pliers) and materials (PB Blaster), I was finally able to loosen the locking nut, tighten the packing nut, and re-tighten the locking nut.
I can say that the success was based on about 25% skill and 75% persistence. The PB Blaster finally broke the nuts loose, but it took several days of straining and squeezing into a too-small space. (If you have ever done this yourself, on any boat, you know how tight the area is.) You have to realize that I am 6'4" and about 240 lbs. I asked my sailing neighbor for advice, and he suggested "Call a professional."
I am waaaaaaay too frugal to pay someone else for something that I can do myself, and I figure that I saved about $1,000.
Anyway, I just want to thank SailboatOwners.com and all the contributors (especially MaineSail). Without your guidance and encouragement, I would have spent money needlessly.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks! I'm always glad to hear SBO and myself could help out..!:)