Texas sales tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
So, if an out-of-state resident (me) buys a boat in Texas, with the intention of registering it in their home state, do they have to pay Texas sales tax? Anybody? Bueller?

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 42 Passage Kemah,Texas
no sales tax if its going out of state..............but the state u take it to is gonna want theirs

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
yup.. No texas tax.. In Louisiana, if the boat is over ten years old, no tax is needed either.. This from the official site:
If coming into Louisiana from another state applicant must submit the out-of-state title (if from a titling state), and/or registration, invoice from dealer, or a notarized bill of sale. Application for a boat purchased outside of Louisiana must also [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]be accompanied by a completed tax certification form (R1331) unless, purchased from an individual and the boat is older than 10 years. If out-of-state registration or title is not available, a certified [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]original [/FONT][/FONT]letter from the state that the boat is leaving acknowledging the status of the boat or documentation of origination of the boat is required.

Nov 30, 2010
Gulfstar 44' Sloup South Shore, New Orleans, LA
I am buying a Gulfstar from a Houston resident this week. The selling broker, out of Kemah, TX, is handling the sale and there is no Texas sales tax collected at the act of sale.
jh

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I was a resident of Indiana at the time we bought our boat in Maryland. After a few months in Maryland, we took it to Ohio for 3 months. In September, we moved it to Michigan for the winter. We then moved it back to Ohio for the next summer. Indiana didn't want sales tax, and Maryland didn't want sales tax. Ohio did want sales tax, and ultimately got it. They threatened to impound the boat if we didn't pay them. I'm going to officially move to Florida...

Nov 30, 2010
Gulfstar 44' Sloup South Shore, New Orleans, LA
Sandy: I just purchased a used 1980 used 44' Gulfstar through a broker in Kemah, TX. There was no sales tax paid. I will bring it to Louisiana and I believe for vessels over 10 years, there is no sales tax paid to LA.
jh

Status
Not open for further replies.