Texas December Racing

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We get three or four standing waves like that when the tide's going out of Long Island Sound into Block Island Sound. Bouncy! Make sure the forward hatch is shut!! First race looked pretty good except for the spinnaker twist or sock block, or whatever it was. Why was the music so loud when that happened? How are we going to learn any new vocabulary if we can't hear??? When we have as many crew as you, one of them gets assigned to the mainsail - to do whatever it takes to make it work at its best: sheet, outhaul, downhaul, Cunningham, traveler, leech line - whatever. Do you have telltales on the leech to show how the flow is going on the main? Very useful. More vang and better traveler settings may have helped in the second race. Why the delay shaking out the reef? Letting the sail luff for the 30 seconds it might take to do (and this crew seems to have taken a good bit less than that) would be more than offset by the increased sail area. Nice that there were not many people in the cockpit: keeping weight forward works. 2021 is looking good!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Do you have telltales on the leech to show how the flow is going on the main? Very useful. More vang and better traveler settings may have helped in the second race. Why the delay shaking out the reef? Letting the sail luff for the 30 seconds it might take to do (and this crew seems to have taken a good bit less than that) would be more than offset by the increased sail area. Nice that there were not many people in the cockpit: keeping weight forward works. 2021 is looking good!
I don't think sailors on this forum are going to learn any new vocabulary from me.
Yes, telltales on the luff of the jib and leech of the main. Not a lot of practice shaking out the reef in a race with this or any crew, we'll work on it.
2021 is looking good. Two races the first weekend, another Icicle race tomorrow. But probably going to sit out Sunday's Peanut Regatta, they're talking snow and sleet not far from here on Sunday. I'll have to start another thread for the next video, "January Racing in Texas"!