Tethers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Litvak

Hello, I am preparing my boat for single handed sailing next season (I will be doing day long cruises only) and would like to get some opinions on tethers. What are the advantages of a single tether versus a double tether. Also, what is the general opinion on Tether Hooks. Thank you all.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Wichard hooks ... only

Whatever tether you choose strongly suggest that you Choose one with Wichard type snaps. Many of the snap shackles used on teathers can self open if or when the teather becomes twisted, even under load. This phenomenon of self opening shackles even include caribiners (without locks). My choice for a tether is to have bungee cord inside the webbing so that when unstrained, the length of the tether becomes shorter ... and you dont trip over it. I also prefer THREE snap shackels so that I can use 'shorter' lenghts of tether when needed, the 'intermediate'/extra shackle located near the middle of a standard two-shackle tether.

H

higgs

Stay on the boat!

Tethers are a pain. When you need to move quickly, they foul or pull up short. If you fall over on the fore deck they will stop you at the first stanchion. If you are on the high side you can kiss it goodbye. On the low side, maybe you will be able to pull yourself back on board. Two seperate tethers is the only way to go. If single handing, you need to have an additional jack line running outside of your shrouds, along the sheer, so if you go over you can hook to this jack line - hopefully work your way aft and reboard. You need two seperate tethers to pull this off. Wear a scuba diver's knife on your ankle so you can, with one hand, cut what is needed should you go over. If you are single handing and go over, you probably are dead. Close to a shore, one may be better off falling in free of the boat and swimming to the beach. We on L Mich. lost a single hander two seasons ago. He was found tethered, over the side, to his boat when it washed ashore. You have to have a way to free yourself because, with autopilot, one can be dragged a long way. Reboarding a boat travelling 5 knots or more is probably impossible. Single handing really boils down to staying on the boat.

D

David Foster

A must

For single handing, run two jacklines down the center of the boat, and hook up to the opposite side when you have to go forward. This way, the tether can keep you inside the lifelines. A solid approach is a must for single handing! David Lady Lillie

Status
Not open for further replies.