Testing DSC VHF Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello, I recently installed a new VHF radio with DSC capability. I have connected it to my chartplotter and it is getting location information. I have done the quick 'radio check radio check' and verified that it can transmit and receive. Is there any way to test the DSC distress funtion? I have looked at the coast guard site and it does not appear there is any way to test it. Is that correct or am I missing something? THanks, Barry

Aug 25, 2006
Hunter 30 Somewhere
DSC Testing

From the CG web site: "Recommendations On Digital Selective Calling (DSC) Test Calls To Coast Stations The International Telecommunications Union Sector for Radiocommunications has indicated that excessive test calls on MF/HF DSC distress and safety frequencies are overloading the system to the point where interference to distress and safety calls has become a cause for concern.. To minimize possible interference, live testing on DSC distress and safety frequencies with coast stations should be limited to once a week as recommended by the International Maritime Organization"

Aug 25, 2006
Hunter 30 Somewhere
DSC Testing

Kind of forgot the point I was going to make (D'oh). With all their emphasis on support for DSC, I would contact the local CG station and ask what their procedure is for testing DSC on VHF radios. I bet they will schedule a test for you.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
Link to another DSC

If you have a friend nearby that also has a DSC radio, you can exchange information and program your radios to call one another. This would test the automatic digital calling and answering features. There is information about programming in your owners manual.

C

Clyde

You can't test the RED BUTTON! *yks

You can test the Digital Selective Calling (DSC) feature by punching in a MMSI number for another DSC VHF radio equipped vessel and hailing the other vessel through the DSC. If the digital selective calling feature of your DSC VHF radio is working, the emergency broadcast feature notifying all DSC VHF radio equipped vessel within VHF radio transmission range of your vessel should be working. For recreational boaters the DSC VHF radio is a SOLAS Class D where Test Calls to Coast Stations is not required on the VHF. SOLAS regulated ships requires Test Calls to Coast Stations on the MF/HF (Medium and High frequencies) only. There is no way to test the emergency distress button on the DSC VHF radio. If you hit the emergency distress button on the DSC VHF radio, it will alert every DSC VHF radio equipped vessel within VHF radio range of your vessel. There is no reset button; you have to turn off your DSC VHF radio to kill the broadcast. If you accidentally send out an emergency DSC VHF broadcast, you must immediately call an "All Stations" alert notifying any DSC VHF radio equipped vessel that might have received your distress signal that you are canceling the DSC distress alert. Fair Winds, Clyde Canceling False Alerts http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/false.htm

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, if one was to be inventive...

One could purchase a 25watt dummy load for VHF radios. Then, with another DSC radio located right next to the dummy load, one could press the little red button and it should active the radio next to it. Dummy loads are like terminating resistors that match the impedance of the antenna output. They look like an antenna to the radio but the radiation from the radio is absorbed by the load and dissipated as heat. Dummy loads or terminating resistor can be purchased from any Amateur Radio source or store. You can even make one yourself if you wanted to. Just my .02 worth.

W

Warren Milberg

The BoatUS Foundation

tutorial at the link below may have a section on testing your the DSC capability of your VHF radio. It's worth a read in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.