TES Yachts

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Does anybody here have experience with TES yachts, such as the 678, 720, or the 28 Magnam? I'm very keen on trailer cruising and these boats seem to offer a lot, but they also seem to be rare in the U.S. and Canada.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I found a couple of links:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, @kappykaplan . I have found links about the boats, but I was hoping to talk to someone who actually had experience with one.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I was able to see the Tes 28 at the 2016 Toronto boat show and posted this video
These are fantastic boats designed for trailering with plenty of interior space. They are available in Canada. The new Tes 246 has some amazing features to check out as well.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
@Sailavie1 : I've seen your video on YouTube. In fact, I think that's how I first found out about TES yachts! What's your impression of the boat? I've seen two reviews and they both were complimentary of the boat's build quality and hardware, but reviews can be flattering. I'm interested in your thoughts.

One of the things that concerns me about the boat is that it's ballast/displacement ratio isn't very good, when you consider that most of the ballast is up high, in the hull. The swing keel is only a fraction of the total ballast. Have you heard anything about the boat's sailing performance? I'm strictly a cruiser and don't need anything overly racy, but I want a reasonable degree of stiffness. Another boat I'm seriously considering is the Seaward 26RK, which has much better ballasting than the TES. But the TES is better in other areas, such as the mast raising system, the anchor system, and interior space, which are all very important, to me.

Oct 31, 2012
Tedd, your taste in boats is similar to mine (I too had the TES and Seaward on my short list). I have not had the opportunity to sail the TES so cannot comment directly on its sailing characteristics. I have however sailed on the Solina 27 which has a similar ballast and keel design. The Salina 27 is fast, stable and settles into its groove quickly. The keel raising system is inside the keel trunk, consisting of blocks and lines which lead back to the cockpit for easy adjustments. These boats are designed and built in Poland which has a reputation for building quality boats at a reasonable price. The TES 28 is very popular in the Masurian Lake District of Poland. This region has over 2,000 lakes linked by rivers and canals and require frequent mast drops to navigate under bridges. That is why TES has come up with the ingenious integrated mast raising system. I have also seen these boats marketed and sailed in the Mediterranean and Baltic Seas for coastal cruising. You can find many videos on YouTube if search for Masurian Sailing and the TES 28 will be common sight.

I was impressed with the quality and spacious interior of the TES as well as the hardware above the decks. The hardware is frankly at par with the Seaward 26 which I have also inspected but not sailed. The Interior of the TES is, by far, more spacious and better designed than the Seaward and has more wood trim. The TES 28 is available with either an inboard or outboard options (the outboard option provides for more interior space).

As with any boat, there are compromises with pros and cons. If I had to pick one, it would be the TES mainly for its spacious interior and modern looks. The Seaward is a proven performer and more common which has its benefits.

Hopes this helps a bit and I look forward to finding out which one you have chosen.
Cheers.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
@Sailavie1 : Thanks, that is a huge help. Interesting fact about the canals in Poland. I've noticed that shallow draft boats with mast-stepping systems seem to be much more popular in Europe. I had attributed that to trailer sailing being more popular there. But that never seemed quite plausible, somehow. I hadn't thought at all about canals, but that makes much more sense as an explanation.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
@Sailavie1 : Only because of the difficulty in finding these other boats, I will probably end up with a U.S.-built boat--either a Seaward 26RK or a Hunter 260. (I'm only considering genuinely trailerable boats.) My wife is strongly in favour of the Hunter because of the interior and, in the interest of crew harmony, that will be a big factor! But if I can find the right TES (or Solina, now that I know about them) I will go for that. I'm even going to investigate bringing in a second-hand one from Europe, although I have no idea how practical an idea that is.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunters are nice. I own the H25 which has a fixed shoal keel. Easy to trailer, launch and retrieve and no moving parts below the waterline.