Tension on the topping lift while the main is set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Enochs

On a boat without a backstay should there be any tension on the topping lift with the main set. What about when it's reefed? I'm having trouble raising the boom high enough without it. Am I missing something? The sail is very difficult to raise all of the way.

B

Bob England

Topping lift

You might find it useful to have some tension on the topping lift while raising the main, but under normal circumstances, once the main is up all the way, you should ease off the topping lift and allow the sail to support the boom. Otherwise, you won't be able to control the mainsail shape properly. So, generally, the answer is NO. The one exception (there usually is at least one) is in very light air, when you might want to induce a fuller shape to the main than the air will support. When reefed, you are in heavy air, and the topping lift should be slack.

R

Russell

Raising the Main on a 376

Check the archives on the subject, without an electric winch most people have problems raising the main on a 376. Make sure to release tesnion on the vang, both reefing lines, and the boom sheet. And check for binding at the mast. Good luck Russell S/V Allie Kat

D

Don Alexander

Topping lift purchase

I put a 2:1 purchase on the boom end of my topping lift. A small block on the end of the wire and some 3/8" diameter line tied to the end fitting and threaded through the boom and back to the outer port rope clutch in the cockpit. I lift the boom up after the sail has been put away then next time the sail is hoisted the weight of the boom is not on the sail making it easier to hoist. When fully hoisted I let off the purchase to a mark on the line which allows the sail to be lowered again without the boom coming low enough to do damage. This scheme also avoids moving the topping lift and eliminates the chafe on the topping lift rope caused by the rough edges on the exit hole at the masthead. I also fitted a 2:1 purchase on the main halyard using a block on the headboard of the mainsail. Now I can get it up without having a heart attack - the mainsail I mean. Regards,

R

Rich

376 Topping Lift

I find it's easier to raise my main when I use the topping lift to pull the boom up just past parallel. Be sure to release the vang, the mainsheet and pull enough slack out on the reef lines at the mast to avoid the extra drag while raising the main. Once the main is up you should release the tension on the topping lift. By the way, put your vang back on while you're still head to wind. It's a hard crank on that big main when it's full of wind.

B

Bryan C.

Raising main

The main on our '88 35 is touch to raise too. Definitely requires some winching. Using a teflon based lubricant on the track makes the job easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.