Tender 315

May 28, 2021
Catalina 315 Ithaca, NY
I just took our new (to us) 315 out for the first sail. It was very quick in 10 knots of breeze, but with both furling main and 135 jib out, it heeled more than I expected it to. Is this other's experience? Any sail trim tips to keep it on its feet (and going faster)?
Bill Russell
Little Wing - 2013 Catalina 315, #009
Ithaca, NY

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcone to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

In no particular order, flaten the sails, choose a different point of sail, like a broad reach, let the traveler out, let the main out, reduce sail area by reefing main and jib, replace sails, and add more crew as ballast. If the jib cannot be reefed replace it with a smaller jib like 105% that can also reefed. If main cannot be reefed or needs a second reef point, modify it to do so.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
it heeled more than I expected it to. Is this other's experience? Any sail trim tips to keep it on its feet (and going faster)?
Bill,

We don't know your experience level or sail trim knowledge.

This book is the most excellent one ever written on the subject:

Available right here on this forum!

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I reef my 310 at 15 knots and sometimes less than that going to windward. If comfort is important (as with my admiral) we find that half the main and half the Genoa will be comfortable and stiff in 20+ knots. Reefing both really helps with balance.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Reef the main before reefing the Genoa

Run the traveler to windward and ease the main sheet, allowing the top of the main to twist

May 28, 2021
Catalina 315 Ithaca, NY
Bill,

We don't know your experience level or sail trim knowledge.

This book is the most excellent one ever written on the subject:

Available right here on this forum!
I am a very experienced sailor. Ordinarily, I would flatten the mainsail with the Cunningham, the outhaul, and the backstay adjuster. The latter would also tighten the forestay and move the draft of the genoa forward. But with a furling mainsail and a split backstay, I don’t have either of those sail trim controls available to me. Absent those, do the halyards become more important for sail shape? I could also induce twist in both sails, spilling air from the upper parts of the sails. I was also wondering whether the furling mechanism in the mast added a lot of weight aloft, contributing to the heeling moment.
The previous owner told me he never unfurled the main all the way. That would help keep the boat upright I guess, but it certainly wouldn’t help your speed.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Heeling can often be the result of simply a change in apparent wind direction, such as when a gust hits or when boat speed changes. So..... play the traveler for minor angle of attack changes caused by the temporary AWD's fluctuations. The heel angle of the boat will tell you when AOA is correct. In other words, do the small things first, rather than reefing and major trim changes. I think once you get more comfortable with your boat's settings you'll find the "sweet spot" more quickly.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............The previous owner told me he never unfurled the main all the way. That would help keep the boat upright I guess, but it certainly wouldn’t help your speed............
Try reefing the main and jib. We often reef both sails and have no problem achieving hull speed in the San Francisco Bay.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I have a C-310 with roller furling main, roller furling Genoa and wing keel. It will round up at 15 knots. At that speed I reef the main to the Catalina Diamond symbol. At 17 knots I reef until the Diamond symbol is in the mast. Above that the Genoa goes to 70%. Yes, the shape on the Genoa is poor at this point. Above 20 I reef the main more and consider if I really want to be sailing or at the dock with a beer. The point of reefing the main first, while keeping plenty of Genoa out is to reduce weather helm and try to keep it balanced.
That being said, two years ago I sailed from Pensacola to Bluewater Bay, 50 nm dock to dock, full sail, on a broad to beam reach in 8 hours from cast off to tie up, with winds 19 to 23. Hull speed is about 6.9 knots. The boat speed through the water frequently indicated 7 to 7.5 knots. It was quite a ride. At speed, the wing provides some lift on the hull.

May 28, 2021
Catalina 315 Ithaca, NY
It also occurs to me that I haven't yet put the anchor and rode on the boat, and have not filled the 40 gal water tank. That additional weight may well balance the boat better.:huh:

Mar 28, 2020
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Congrats on the new boat! We love our 310. Hull seems to be designed (I believe intentionally? .....maybe to make the beamy boat more slippery in light winds....) to easily heel to 15 degrees and stiffen up from there. It surprised us at first as well. The depth of knowledge you’ve demonstrated indicates its probably just a matter of getting used to the new hull shape. Admiral and I don’t hesitate heading out in up to 30 knots these days. Jesse (JK Boston on here) has posted some passages above 50+ knots down in the Caribbean on his 310. Doubt you will find the boat tender once acclimated.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Hi Bill,

Congratulations on the 315. We really love ours.

But, as always, a few issues, especially in heavy air. Like you, I did notice that the 315 is a bit more tender than our previous boat. But, then again, I also noticed that she really sails a whole lot better in light air, so maybe a trade off. I also found was that the clam cleat would jam under load so badly that a jerk would not release it. I finally gave up on it and now use the winch and traveler for trimming the main. I think another sort of cleat would be a much better idea for the main sheet.

May 28, 2021
Catalina 315 Ithaca, NY
I know what you mean about the clam cleat. We had a 320 before the 315, and I always ended up using the winches to trim the main. But the clam cleat came in handy if I needed to use the winch for something else. I’m making some additional upgrades (adjustable Genoa lead cars) which should give me better control over sail trim and boat handling. But it’s still new to me.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Welcome, Congrats on the New Boat and WELCOME, There is Lots of Good Solid advice here!
The best advice I can give is GO OUT AND SAIL, with lifejacket on and Play,!
It took us awhile to get used to "learn" our boat but now we are comfy with it!
Enjoy!