Temperature Check

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Yes, I know I'm a worry puss, but being new to inboards, there is a lot to learn. Went for a long ride, down the Sassafras to get used to the boat and how it handles. Up till now I've only done a five minute motor or have had the motor running while at the dock. Anyhow, I noticed that while under load running about 2400 rpm or there about's, that the engine temp registered at 170. Mt speed was just under 6 knots, against the tide. Is this the normal running temp? I have a three hour run to do coming up in October, all motoring, so I want to be "Edgamacated"!!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What kind of engine is it, and I presume it's fresh water cooled? If so, 170 sounds pretty good, as long as it was holding constant around there. Thermostats for fresh water engines are generally 160 or 180. Our O'Day 28 ran right around there.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Totally agree with 170 being about right. Diesels generally run a bit hotter then gas engines. They perform better under load and up to temp. The worst thing that you can do to a diesel is to let it idle. Just monitor it closely. There should be a buzzer on the panel that will go off if temp gets too high.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Pushing 6 knots against the tide will make your engine run hotter than normal. 170F is adequate; make sure your buzzer alarm and idiot lamp are working as the day the engine will overheat it will the buzzer that will alert you to a problem and the warning lamp the one that will define that it is a temperature problem. Diesel engines run more efficiently at higher temperatures but it is important to allow a cool down period before shutdown. I don't warm up my engine before casting lines but I surely will let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes before shutting it down.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
When was the last time you replaced the impeller? Just one thing less to worry about on your run.

Aug 11, 2011
All great stuff. I have one of those infrared gun thermometers. It sits in my workshop, praying for the day my 1960 Triumph TR3 gets finished so it can be used. Never thought about using it on the boat. Well I didn't find out about this until today either. Now that's cross utilization.

Thanks everyone

Aug 11, 2011
Impeller was changed out at the time of the engine overhaul in March. I put together a box (an old Army munitions box) of engine supplies in case something breaks.
Oil and Fuel Filters
Engine Belt
One of each hose required
Hose Clamps
Impeller
Impeller Slot Key
Pencil Anode for the heat exchanger (HEx is new out of the box)

I need to get a spare starter

Anybody know of anything else?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Impeller was changed out at the time of the engine overhaul in March. I put together a box (an old Army munitions box) of engine supplies in case something breaks.

I need to get a spare starter

Anybody know of anything else?
A "spare starter"? Don't go overboard, no need to carry a spare engine; get a membership with one of the towing companies like Towboat US. Today no matter where you are you can get any part Fed EX in 2-4 days. Just carry maintenance items like filters, impellers , oil, fuses …….. and small set of tools.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a Boat US Membership with Unlimited Towing. Best Insurance to have and certainly is a Peace of Mind item.
I have good friends who live on their boats....have actually called them for help twice in 10 years...both issues self-inflicted :banghead:

Greg