Temp Sensor Length for ProNautic/Sterling Ultra

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Could someone provide me with the length of the Temp sensor on either of these chargers? I was at Defender Sale yesterday and no one could tell without opening the Box. I've looked at the PDF's for both, but no joy. Thanks...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I'll look later today when I get home. I just received it from Mainsail 2days ago. He has a great price on them and it helps suppor a major contributor to these forums.

Les

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I'll look later today when I get home. I just received it from Mainsail 2days ago. He has a great price on them and it helps suppor a major contributor to these forums.

Les
Thanks. MS will definitely get my order once I figure out logistics. I'm replacing my OEM charger but trying to figure out whether I need to relocate....

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks. MS will definitely get my order once I figure out logistics. I'm replacing my OEM charger but trying to figure out whether I need to relocate....
The Sterling PCU supplied sensor is 10' long, but it can easily be extended with a typical 6P2C male to female RJ11 phone cable or with an RJ11 in-line coupler. This stuff is available at any Wal*Mart... The temp sensor is using the two middle terminals as would the typical red & green two wire phone cord scheme.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I installed my charger within 6 feet of the batteries. There is plenty of wire for the temp gauge. 10 feet. I disconnected the gauge (unclip the connection from the charger) to maintain batteries in the winter chill. Found the charger wanted to pump 15 volts in to the batteries because they were about 40 degrees. MaineSail helped identify the issue. (Thanks). When I unclipped the gauge wire from the charger, the charger defaulted to 60 degree temps and all was well.
(I tried the other way first disconnect from the battery but the temp sensor kept telling the charger it is cold out here pump the juice to the battery.:confused: ) It would be nice to have an easier access to the temp wire connection but only doing it twice a year I guess I can get use to R&R of 2 screws.:dancing:

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Hey Jon -
I bought a 40A Sterling charger from MS to replace my stock Charles 30A, last year. Located it on the forward bulkhead inside the large cockpit locker (back wall of the head) - some work, but shorter run to batteries and nav station, and it's easily accessible. Let me know if you'd like pics. Not sure if I ever posted it on the C355 forum....

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks all. I have read that the sensor can be extended--thanks for confirming MS.
John, since we have the same boat and it's the same project would appreciate pics. I was considering moving the new charger to that bulkhead, which has the advantage of shortening the charging outputs. Would also be curious as to whether you jumpered the FET as MS illustrates in his how to?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Jon -
I did jump them. My start batt is also in that locker just below the charger, so it was a logical location. I also added the optional remote panel for the Sterling in the aux electronics compartment forward of the main electric panel. I'll put together a post on the 355 forum next opportunity.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Jon -
I did jump them. My start batt is also in that locker just below the charger, so it was a logical location. I also added the optional remote panel for the Sterling in the aux electronics compartment forward of the main electric panel. I'll put together a post on the 355 forum next opportunity.
Thanks John...I'll contact you offline with questions on our install once you post :)