Technical Data

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Not my area I know, I am intruding on Jesse's space, but was looking through our 310/315 IA web site and went to the links setting and found old tech articles that might help someone.
If you are bored or have not launched yet-like us-you might check it out.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
http://catalina310.org/MainsheetMagazine.htm
Than click on Mainsheet should get you to the articles!
I have not posted anything recent (actually haven't posted anything since taking over as Sec/Tres) because I have this vague memory of the previous office holder telling me that the Mainsheet folks didn't want us posting for free Mainsheet copyrighted material that people's association dues pay for. I might not be remembering that correctly, as I've never confirmed with them. But that is why the tech material that is up there abruptly stops at some point in the past.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mainsheet folks didn't want us posting for free Mainsheet copyrighted material that people's association dues pay for
That makes perfect sense from one perspective. You create it you own it.

But from another viewpoint if you own a Picasso and lock it in a vault no one would know it existed but you. Perhaps it is felt that no one would join with out the Mainsheet articles. Maybe true. But if you heard a call for help on VHF16 would you go to assist if it was not a Catalina?

I offer a thought perhaps the sharing of ideas might just increase awareness of this great group and more would want to participate even non owners who might find themselves future owners.

It is only a thought and not a suggestion. I know my views on the cloistering away of ideas for ownership since I dove into this boating world have evolved. Sharing, networking, and helping other boaters brings value to others and self.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I own a C-310 and not a member of the 310 org as looking at the MainSheet mag. I can get more info from other sailors of many types and sizes than what's in Mainsheet over the last year. I know Les and Stu would say different but then that's how I see it.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I have not posted anything recent (actually haven't posted anything since taking over as Sec/Tres) because I have this vague memory of the previous office holder telling me that the Mainsheet folks didn't want us posting for free Mainsheet copyrighted material that people's association dues pay for. I might not be remembering that correctly, as I've never confirmed with them. But that is why the tech material that is up there abruptly stops at some point in the past.
Actually, you can download several years of Mainsheet Magazines from the Catalina site (http://www.mainsheet.net/digital-magazine.html), except for the most recent ones.

Nov 16, 2012
Are those PDF files open or password protected? I know the most recent editions are password protected. You can download, but you can’t open without the password.
The ones in green (up to Summer 2018 currently) are open. The red ones are password protected.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
I don't get here on the forum often, and just came across this thread. We bought our 310 in 2014 from Bill Lewis, who was tech editor and wrote many of those, so most are in a binder aboard the boat.
I can vouch for the easy oil change mod in the May 2005 issue. I say thanks to Bill every time I change the oil, which I do more often since it's a 10 minute zero mess job now.

Nov 16, 2012
I don't get here on the forum often, and just came across this thread. We bought our 310 in 2014 from Bill Lewis, who was tech editor and wrote many of those, so most are in a binder aboard the boat.
I can vouch for the easy oil change mod in the May 2005 issue. I say thanks to Bill every time I change the oil, which I do more often since it's a 10 minute zero mess job now.
Do you know what drill pump model was installed? Most of the ones on Amazon and WM get pretty bad reviews. But it does seem like a nice mod.

On another note, do you have a 310 in Monterey, CA? I saw some of your earlier posts about looking for one. We bought ours in 2015, just across the bay from you now, I guess.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
ou can download, but you can’t open without the password.
Sure you can.
The pw is so simple as to be mind boggling:

There are four issues per year: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Volume: 35 is 2017; 36 is 2018, 34 would be???
Spring is No. 1, Summer is No. 2, Fall and Winter are 3 & 4

For example: Summer 2017 pw is S352

You download and then use the pw to read it.

For some bizarre reason the publisher refused our suggestions to do this like any normal magazine would.

So I feel no hesitancy in sharing this with you all.

Goodie...:)

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
Rob,
I don't know for sure, I'd have to read the old article again. I think he said it came from West Marine. Next time I'm at the boat I will look for identifying marks.
But yes we did buy ours in 2014. I had signed up here hoping to find one for my wife to see before searching too hard. It is a different interior arrangement, I knew I liked it but I wanted her to see one in person. Bill Lewis replied from Long Beach. A bit of a trip just to check one out, but they had recently decided to sell. I was buried at work on a new job, and couldn't break loose to make the trip, so Ellen went down with my full agreement that if she liked it to make an offer. She did, and we did buy it, and it is in Monterey now.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I tried finding the drill pump at WM, nothing looks like what was in the picture. Seems like a great idea, there are portable ones.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Rob,
I don't know for sure, I'd have to read the old article again. I think he said it came from West Marine. Next time I'm at the boat I will look for identifying marks.
But yes we did buy ours in 2014. I had signed up here hoping to find one for my wife to see before searching too hard. It is a different interior arrangement, I knew I liked it but I wanted her to see one in person. Bill Lewis replied from Long Beach. A bit of a trip just to check one out, but they had recently decided to sell. I was buried at work on a new job, and couldn't break loose to make the trip, so Ellen went down with my full agreement that if she liked it to make an offer. She did, and we did buy it, and it is in Monterey now.
We very much liked the interior arrangement of the C310. We had been to a few boat shows, comparing all the popular brands, but could find nothing to match the setup of the 310. We think of it as an open arrangement that feels more spacious than a more traditional setup. The large opening in the forward bulkhead, and the good sized door to the forward cabin allow an amazing amount of ventilation. When on the hook or a mooring, the boat stays comfortable on even the hottest days. I hope you enjoy your 310 as much as we do ours.