Teak Varnish California

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
You Capri 22 sailors who live in California ( land of the very aggressive EPA) what have you found to be the best varnish.

My "big" brother in the L.A. region says the California EPA had banned the Pratt & Lambert Vitralite. Looking for a replacement.

A couple of years ago I purchased some of the Vitralite here in NY and shipped it to him. ( Probably illegal). Of course the store I purchased it in, is now closed. ( Like a lot of other small stores in NY).

Hershey

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
I don't think there is a magic varnish in CA or anywhere else for that matter. Just about any product is going to require 3-10 coats initially, then 1-3 maintenance coats each year after. You can probably reduce the number of coats by going with something like Cetol. Or, he can let it go au natural which doesn't look bad if you clean it annually with soap and water. Kind of a good, better, best set of choices with orders of magnitude difference in terms of effort. My only suggestion is pick up the product from a marine store, not a home improvement store. Sorry, not much help.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Ok, here's a little more help. A friend is using Epifanes Clear Varnish on his wooden boat. Swears by it, and available in CA. Requires 6-10 coats for the initial buildup, then minimal annual maintenance thereafter.

Attachments