Teak Grate for Head Hunter 38

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
On our 2008 Hunter 38, the head has two rooms.
One contains the head / shower and has a teak grate on the floor.
The other room has the sink and has a fiberglass floor.
My wife would like a teak grate in this room to match the one in the shower area.

I got a quote from a local guy who does boat wood work. I was a bit shocked as it came in at $1,150. Apparently teak prices are up pretty high as the materials portion alone was $675. While I'm sure we would get a really beautiful custom fit job I'm not really prepared for that kind of price.

Does anyone know of a supplier that makes this kind of product? Or better yet any contacts with factory parts that would already have the pattern for the 38 head so that less custom fitting is involved?

Thanks in advance

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I would suggest using African Mahogany for a great match from someone like Yukon Lumber. http://www.yukonlumber.com/exotic.html
That price seems very high, especially since the wood would be ordered to size to minimize planning, sanding, and cutting. It is not that difficult a project. do it yourself over the winter and stain and varnish in the Spring.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Same

I have been wanting to do the exact same thing on my 2007 H-36
but every time I try to find some kind of matching wood is where I get stopped.
I have found some teak I think at defender that is $$$$$ and than do it myself
but just can't seem to go further.
My wife is happy with the way things are and just me that wants to add the teak wood and maybe one day when I have more time and get it done but I am not really a good wood worker.
Keep us posted if you succeed better than I have,it would been done long ago
if not for $$$$$ to have it made.
Nick

Aug 25, 2010
Hunter 376 Charlestown, MA
I have been wanting to do the exact same thing on my 2007 H-36 but every time I try to find some kind of matching wood is where I get stopped. I have found some teak I think at defender that is $$$$$ and than do it myself but just can't seem to go further. My wife is happy with the way things are and just me that wants to add the teak wood and maybe one day when I have more time and get it done but I am not really a good wood worker. Keep us posted if you succeed better than I have,it would been done long ago if not for $$$$$ to have it made. Nick
Hello Seadaddler et al. Our 1998 H-376 had the integral formed fiberglass floor in the head/ shower. The first mate saw a teak head floor at the boat show and thought that a teak floor would be nice on Someday. I agreed, but not for the price of custom. She found teak slat tile squares with plastic support framing underneath that snap together that are used in pool cabanas that she thought I should consider. I purchased two cartons, made e a pattern and cut the tiles to fit. It looks awesome and has stood up well with routine teak oiling. Happy to send a picture and more detail if you like. Greg

Jan 1, 2013
You can purchase a flexible teak mat from Defender for about $60. I have a 38 and the teak mat fits perfectly and matches the finish in the shower. The mat is a series of one inch teak planks connected with heavy line - seems to be very durable. West Marine also carries this item but more expensive.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
You can purchase a flexible teak mat from Defender for about $60. I have a 38 and the teak mat fits perfectly and matches the finish in the shower. The mat is a series of one inch teak planks connected with heavy line - seems to be very durable. West Marine also carries this item but more expensive.

Thanks will take a look at it.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Seabar

I did see the flex teak mat in WM one day but have not seen it any more
but will look in Defender and thanks.er
I saw the teak mat at Defender and when I return from my vacation will order one.
Nick

Jan 1, 2013
I did see the flex teak mat in WM one day but have not seen it any more but will look in Defender and thanks.er I saw the teak mat at Defender and when I return from my vacation will order one. Nick
You may want to try Bed Bath and Beyond. They sell them for spa mats and sometimes have in stock. If you get one put tan Rubbermaid shelf lining under it to hold in place - it will not be visible.

deacm

May 27, 2004
Hunter 36 Erie, PA
While we're on the topic of the bathroom floor…………..I like our floor as it is on our Hunter 36, but some of that fiberglass/beige/paint around the curved edges is cracking off and shows dark fiberglass underneath it. Does anyone know what that beige paint/material is so I could touch it up? Thanks

Patrik

Apr 1, 2008
Hunter 356 Stockholm
I have made a teak floor, same as in the shower. I bought teak slats like those in the shower and did a "copy" of it. It is excellent and looks great. fairly simple carpentry work during wintertime and not expensive (less than 100 USD).

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
I have used oak and stained it with teak stain/varnish so I can have the wood look, but be protected from the water. The oak is hard enough to withstand the torture.