Tartan holding tank

Jul 21, 2021
Tartan 372 Lake Champlain
We have a 1989 Tartan 372, I want to replace the holding tank. It's located under the locker in the cockpit. I looks as if it may not be able to pass through the locker opening. If that's true, then it will be impossible to replace it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I see you've just joined our merry band of sailors...welcome aboard!

It may be time to find a new location for the tank...the current location isn't the best place for it anyway. I'll be glad to help you do that.

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Bladders are ok for water but not for sewage holding because, unless they're installed so they absolutely cannot chafe, they'll leak...because they "hug" the contents, it's almost impossible to maintain the aerobic environment in 'em that's essentail in prevent odor out the vent. And even the best ones have only an average 15 yr life expectancy. A good quality bladder (Nauta or Vetus) can also cost more than top quality plastic tank that'll last as long as the boat if it's not abused. Why do you want to replace the existing tank?

--Peggie

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
On my '80 Tartan 372, the holding tank is under the port side of the V-berth. I replaced my tank with a B500 from MarineSan about 5 years ago.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
B500 sounds like a Ronco Plastics mold #...I know MarineSan sells Ronco tanks. And Ronco Plastics is definitely the best source for a water or waste tank. Ronco Plastics Home Page They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers--including Marine San--who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with.

When looking at drawings it's important to know that there is no top or bottom until the fittings go in, and YOU decide where they go. So rotate, flip in any orientation to find the tank that fit your space.

--Peggie