Tartan 3700 Novis carbon fiber Mast

Aug 31, 2020
Tartan 3700 0 South Freeport, Maine
We own a 2007 Tartan 3700 with a Novis carbon fiber mast. We have been very happy with both the boat and the rig. Currently, we are undertaking some winter work including replacing the RG8X VHF cabling inside the mast with RG213. Apparently, the current wire run inside the mast passes through a mesh sleeve that is anchored at the top and bottom of the mast. I wondered whether anyone on the list might have undertaken a similar project? We're wondering how difficult a job it is to remove that mesh sleeve in order to run the new wire. In particular, are there any obstacles in there like zip ties or other anchoring of the sleeve inside the mast? Might there be any pictures or diagrams of the inside of the mast that are accessible online? Thanks so much for any responses.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
We own a 2007 Tartan 3700 with a Novis carbon fiber mast. We have been very happy with both the boat and the rig. Currently, we are undertaking some winter work including replacing the RG8X VHF cabling inside the mast with RG213. Apparently, the current wire run inside the mast passes through a mesh sleeve that is anchored at the top and bottom of the mast. I wondered whether anyone on the list might have undertaken a similar project? We're wondering how difficult a job it is to remove that mesh sleeve in order to run the new wire. In particular, are there any obstacles in there like zip ties or other anchoring of the sleeve inside the mast? Might there be any pictures or diagrams of the inside of the mast that are accessible online? Thanks so much for any responses.
I think you might have a somewhat unique mast made by a company that isn’t in business so not sure you will get a specific response :)

As a more “generic” suggestion, would there be space to insert a bore scope camera to see what’s inside? Lots of fairly inexpensive ones on the web that use a smartphone as the “view screen”

Aug 31, 2020
Tartan 3700 0 South Freeport, Maine
I think you might have a somewhat unique mast made by a company that isn’t in business so not sure you will get a specific response :)
I'm not sure that's true. I think Novis Marine is an affiliate/subsidiary of Tartan and either under that name or "AMP Spars" a/k/a "Aspire Spars" is responsible for almost all 3700 masts -- which came standard as carbon fiber on that model since 2005 or perhaps even earlier. Undoubtedly the build process has evolved through the years but I don't think my mast is at all unique -- at least for Tartan.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I'm not sure that's true. I think Novis Marine is an affiliate/subsidiary of Tartan and either under that name or "AMP Spars" a/k/a "Aspire Spars" is responsible for almost all 3700 masts -- which came standard as carbon fiber on that model since 2005 or perhaps even earlier. Undoubtedly the build process has evolved through the years but I don't think my mast is at all unique -- at least for Tartan.
Well OK - Good luck!