Tankless Water Heater

Bradv

Jul 30, 2016
Hunter 31 Lewis and Clark Lake
I'm interested in installing an ELECTRIC tankless water heater in my 1986 Hunter 31. I'm at dock every night and don't need hot water on the lake for my (mostly) day sails. Any experience either pro or con? Thanks! Brad

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you are only using it while plugged into shore power then I guess it would work. But.... does your marina have a bath house? :shhh:

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
No marine experience, but as a home inspector I sometimes run into electric tankless heaters and find they rarely perform adequately for bathing purposes.

If you are planning to use it for low-demand use (washing hands, dishes, etc.), then a 110V on-demand heater might suffice. For showering, I would be surprised if it could supply enough volume to be satisfactory. In any case, it would take a very hefty extension cord since the longer the run, the bigger the conductors must be. Keep in mind that the temperature of the fresh water supply will have a considerable impact on the performance of the unit.

This is likely the reason that most marine water heaters are "recovery" type where water is kept hot in quantity (5 gallons or more), used, then allowed to recover.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The above info is good info. I am familiar with two types of on demand water heaters. One was popular on boats manufactured in Canada powered by propane gas. It had to be installed properly and more importantly vented properly. The other was electric. Both had water that entered through the heaters and heated on demand. And, the temperature of the water in the tank had bearing on what temp the hot water expelled. I prefer the tank type which is powered via shore power or the engine via the hot water system.

• Helpful