Tankette to Eliminate Head Odors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm not a fan of any inline devices

They're expensive, can be messy to change the chemical, chemical can interfere or react negatively with holding tank products.

Teeing the head intake line into the head sink drain is the best solution (see the link Stu provided), but it's not always practical to do that, especially if the head and the head sink aren't on the same side of the keel. But there are other solutions that are inexpensive to install and don't require chemicals or other additional expense.

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
Your smell is probably eminating from the vent line. I know that a proper and clean vent should provide enough oxygen to not have a problem...but that is not always the case.

Sometimes it the result of a lengthy vent line, sometimes its because of the salt water enviornment or the size of the holding tank. The solution is a vent on the line that allows air in and out, but filters it out to remove the smell. Bob

Oct 2, 2007
- - Millville, NJ
Regarding the Tank-ette, I met Fred Prue (the inventor) some time back at a Boat Show in Boston. We spent a few days together, working out of the same booth, and had a pretty lengthy discussion on the Tank-ette. He swears that it works, and that it is much better than the similar product sold by West Marine. He also mentioned that his replacement pellets will fit in West Marine's model, and work much better than theirs. Note that this isn't any sort of endorsement on my part, because I'm in the same camp as Peggie, I have doubts over how well they work. But if I were going to try one, I'd give Fred's a shot, simply based on what he told me. (Don't know if my curiosity is worth sixty bucks however...)

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
I should have mentioned that I have already made the "T'ed fresh water" flush from the sink drain on my boat, and I am pleased with the results.

I have a friend that has not made that improvment and was considering the Tankette, to eliminate the initial odor when first using the head after the boat had been sitting with sea water in the intake line.

Bill

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hmmmm...

I should have mentioned that I have already made the "T'ed fresh water" flush from the sink drain on my boat, and I am pleased with the results.

I have a friend that has not made that improvment and was considering the Tankette, to eliminate the initial odor when first using the head after the boat had been sitting with sea water in the intake line. Bill
Lessee, now...$60, plus the ongoing cost of replacement cartridges for as long as you own it, for a device that doesn't get rave reviews vs. the price of a tee fitting and a couple of hose clamps for a fix that's proven to solve the problem and requires no chemicals or any additional expense ever. Plus, he gets to either eliminate one hole in the boat or free it up for a heat/ac pump or a washdownpump.

Hoo boy...your friend has a really TOUGH choice! :D

Oct 2, 2007
- - Millville, NJ
Re: Hmmmm...

One thing I've never liked about those types of add-ons, is the @#$%^ blue dye they use, so that you can see that something is actually being added to the water in the toilet bowl. First, when you're changing out the pellets or otherwise messing with it, the dye gets on your skin - AND IT WON'T COME OFF with anything short of a sandblaster! Next, it seems to ooze out every seam, gap and gasket joint on the toilet and you go from having an all-white toilet to one that is now two-toned, blue and white - that's my biggest gripe.

Fred Prue (Tank-ette inventor and owner of the company) is a country-blues musician, in a band called Prue's Blues. They do gigs at various clubs and spots in New England. He also has (or had) a boat. He came up with this idea for obvious reasons - a smelly head on his boat. Then he started up his own company, and began marketing it. I know it's been on the market for at least 10 years, and it hasn't been universally acclaimed as of yet. So let's face it, if the product was THAT good, everybody would know about it and/or have one...

C

captainpat355

They're expensive, can be messy to change the chemical, chemical can interfere or react negatively with holding tank products.

Teeing the head intake line into the head sink drain is the best solution (see the link Stu provided), but it's not always practical to do that, especially if the head and the head sink aren't on the same side of the keel. But there are other solutions that are inexpensive to install and don't require chemicals or other additional expense.
I just purchased a 2003 Hunter 426 that has been used little (350 engine hours). Three head related problems:
1) There was considerable head odor which I thought was primarily from lack of use and the holding tank not being flushed. During the move from RI to NJ much of the odor went away as the head(s) - 2 of them - were in use. The boat has been stored for the winter in NJ and the holding tank and lines were flushed with fresh water. All is satisfactory right now. I do not want a re-occurance after re-commissioning, and read a post about teeing the head intake to the head sink discharge. What is the theory behind this (translate - How does it work?)
2) When the forward head (the one least used by the previous owner) is used there is considerable odor from the intake line. I plan to replace that hose and thru-hull. Should the T solution positively effect this issue?
3) There was also considerable odor comming out of the holding tank vent while underway as the contents of the holding tank sloshed around. I think it would be difficult at best to replace the vent hose with a larger one because of the installation and location. Also, I have used an enzyme product since taking over the boat. What else can I do to minimize this source of odor?
Thanks much, sorry for the length of the post.
captainpat

Status
Not open for further replies.