Tank Sizes Hunter 49

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
All the specs I see list capacities in total. The boat holds 200 gallons of water in three tanks and 52 gallons of waste (black water) in two tanks. Does any one know the capacities by tank?
Water:
Forward Port ... ?
Aft Port ...?
Starboard ... ?
Total ... 200

Waste:
Forward Head ... ?
Aft Head ... ?
Total ... 52

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
As long as you can get to each of the tanks to measure 'em, it's pretty easy to determine the capacity of each one that's a rectangle. L x W x H in inches /231 (cu.in/gal). You'll need some math skills if the tank isn't rectangular.

You're measuring outside dimensions, so you need to deduct 5-10% to allow for wall thickness and also because not every cu millimeter of space in a tank is usable capacity. So if you get a number like, for instance 53.46867, that would be a 49-50 gal tank.
-
-Peggie

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
As long as you can get to each of the tanks to measure 'em, it's pretty easy to determine the capacity of each one that's a rectangle. L x W x H in inches /231 (cu.in/gal). You'll need some math skills if the tank isn't rectangular.

You're measuring outside dimensions, so you need to deduct 5-10% to allow for wall thickness and also because not every cu millimeter of space in a tank is usable capacity. So if you get a number like, for instance 53.46867, that would be a 49-50 gal tank.
-
-Peggie
Peggy,
On the 49, the tanks are sub floor, and not measurable.
I agree that a cheap flow meter will tell you the capacity of each tank,,, but..
What you will need to do when filling the tanks is shut off the tank at the distribution manifold under the floor in the center of the main cabin.
All 3 tanks equalize to each other, so as you fill one, it’s already porting over to the others.
Which brings me to my next point..
The tanks all drain together, unless you shut off the tanks at the manifold as they empty, and then switch to the other.
I don’t find this excercise useful. I just keep an eye on the guages, and try to conserve when off dock.
Btw, you might want to try my best trick, (already documented ), on how to fill your tanks from the dock water stern inlet. This just makes life so easy. I haven’t filled them from the deck in over 2 years. It also fills them exactly evenly. BE CAREFUL to keep your eye on guages when you do this!! Don’t overfill, as it’s bad for the tanks.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If the tanks aren't accessible, how do you replace hoses (they don't last forever), add or replace gauges--which, btw, are required on HOLDING tanks unless they're in a location and are made of a material that allows the level to be determined visually?

--Peggie

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I was able to get the shop drawings for all my tanks from Hunter on my H430.

Perhaps you can get the H49's from them or from the manuals links, that i don't have anymore.
I downloaded everything available before Marlow/Hunter moved them.
-----
how do you replace hoses
The hoses and gauges are accessible, but the ability to measure their full shape is not.:(

Jim...

PS: My
$15 P3 turbine totalizing meter
Works great!!!

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter 40 Mount Sinai
According to the manufacturers labels : forward holding tank is 25 gallons and aft is 27 gallons

Jun 8, 2004
I knew you geniuses on Hunter owners would have all the answers .....
The links are perfect giving me all the info I wanted thank you Scott b from Breezin'

By the way Scott spent 2 month's last year cruising up the Bruce Peninsula rounded it for a short bit into Georgian Bay then cut back through the North Channel over to the UP of Michigan under the Mackinac Bridge to Beaver Island then down to Lower Michigan and around it's eastern shoreline back to Lake Erie. You have some beautiful cruising grounds and fabulously clear water up that way.

I was hoping to do Lake Ontario and the 1000 islands this year but alas some virus got in the way.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
The entire Eastern side of Georgian Bay, where we are, is much like the North Channel. Lots of Islands, that's why they call it the 30,000 Islands, and we spend the weekends anchored in small bays.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
If the tanks aren't accessible, how do you replace hoses (they don't last forever), add or replace gauges--which, btw, are required on HOLDING tanks unless they're in a location and are made of a material that allows the level to be determined visually?

--Peggie
Peggy,
The FW tank hoses are whale 15mm. I don’t see that ever going bad
The holding tank hoses are accessible to pull & replace, so that’s not a problem.
On the Hunter 49, they installed a wonderful Sea Tech manifold system, so all of the branches are controllable. Very nice install by Hunter.

Jan 4, 2019
Hunter 50 Halifax & Martinique
All the specs I see list capacities in total. The boat holds 200 gallons of water in three tanks and 52 gallons of waste (black water) in two tanks. Does any one know the capacities by tank?
Water:
Forward Port ... ?
Aft Port ...?
Starboard ... ?
Total ... 200

Waste:
Forward Head ... ?
Aft Head ... ?
Total ... 52
Water-Forward port 56 gal US
Water-Aft port 72 gal US
Water-Starboard 72 gal US
Waste-Forward 25 gal US
Waste-Aft 27 gal US

Jun 8, 2004
thanks Laid-Back ... I finally did find a spec sheet some where that listed the sizes but a appreciate your concise on point answer as it confirms the spec sheet I found.

Jun 7, 2022
Hunter 49 Almerimar
Peggy,
On the 49, the tanks are sub floor, and not measurable.
I agree that a cheap flow meter will tell you the capacity of each tank,,, but..
What you will need to do when filling the tanks is shut off the tank at the distribution manifold under the floor in the center of the main cabin.
All 3 tanks equalize to each other, so as you fill one, it’s already porting over to the others.
Which brings me to my next point..
The tanks all drain together, unless you shut off the tanks at the manifold as they empty, and then switch to the other.
I don’t find this excercise useful. I just keep an eye on the guages, and try to conserve when off dock.
Btw, you might want to try my best trick, (already documented ), on how to fill your tanks from the dock water stern inlet. This just makes life so easy. I haven’t filled them from the deck in over 2 years. It also fills them exactly evenly. BE CAREFUL to keep your eye on guages when you do this!! Don’t overfill, as it’s bad for the tanks.
Where do i find this documented modification??

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock

That makes sense for water and fuel, but not for the holding tanks because it's unlikely they fill at the same rate nor are they linked together...at least they shouldn't be!

As for guages...each holding tank should have its own. SCAD Scad Tank Monitors is the top rated system. Among other reasons, it uses sensors that are applied to the outside of the tank. You only need to be able to access one vertical wall to use 'em.

--Peggie