Tank Monitor

mytime

Aug 26, 2014
Hunter 2007 Marlow Hunter 33 Middle River, MD
We just purchased a Marlow Hunter 2007 33'... Factory tank monitor not working... Should I start troubleshooting at gauge or sensors. Any easy way to test with a multimeter?...Any known problems with system?
6519307_20171103140214590_1_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
First of all:

1. What are the symptoms of not working .................. always full, never full, power on, power off ? Be specific.
2. Which tank ?
3. Brand name and model of the monitor. Hunter Marlow doesn't make gauges.

And then we can be all over it like a cheap suit :thumbup:.

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
I would pull it out and see what type of sending unit you have to start with. If its a traditional ohm based, then you can measure the resistance at various positions to see if its working. The one in my 2005 Hunter 33 was not the ohm type. Here is my experience and solution:

6 wire fuel sending unit - what is this?

Regards,
-buddy

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The fuel monitors are known problems. I forget the OEM but they weren't very good. Search the threads here. Mine had a float, I think. Search the threads here. The OEM should show up. You should probably keep track of engine hours for your fuel consumption - figure .5 to .75 GPH. Here is a list of related threads:

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Give some info man! Tank? That couldnt be any more vague. Most of us love troubleshooting here so pics, type, what tank? that sort of thing.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
I did this repair on my 356 earlier this year. In my case, the display unit turned on but showed empty for the holding tank. I replaced the external sensor and everything works great now.

For the price, I'd replace the sensor first and go from there.

mytime

Aug 26, 2014
First of all:

1. What are the symptoms of not working .................. always full, never full, power on, power off ? Be specific.
2. Which tank ?
3. Brand name and model of the monitor. Hunter Marlow doesn't make gauges.

And then we can be all over it like a cheap suit :thumbup:.
1...Turn breaker on ...no reading from either tank position
2...Both
3...Not sure on brand but is Standard issue from factory seen on other Hunters
6519307_20171103140214590_1_XLARGE.jpg

mytime

Aug 26, 2014
Give some info man! Tank? That couldnt be any more vague. Most of us love troubleshooting here so pics, type, what tank? that sort of thing.
Most people refer to a Tank Monitor as the name given to a Holding Tank or Fresh water tank monitor
Fuel Gauge is what I would have said if I was referring to the fuel tank monitor
I didn't think it was going to be such a challenging question
Yes you are right I should have posted a picture

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Most people refer to a Tank Monitor as the name given to a Holding Tank or Fresh water tank monitor
Your boat has several tanks and they all have a name ............... only way us dumbasses can identify them.

But all that aside, we're off to the races. The Brand of indicator is a WEMA which is a UK company. The most likely level sensor (located in the tank) is a float mechanism which changes the resistance of the sender as the position of the float rises and falls. See attached.

Before you proceed with removing the sender from the tank, I would suggest checking the meter (what you read) for a 12V power supply. From what you have described, this may be your problem. Let us know and we'll go from there.

I didn't think it was going to be such a challenging question
Yes, a very challenging question without any information as to how the gauges perform. Now that we have some details, I can almost smell blood in the wind :biggrin:.

Attachments

mytime

Aug 26, 2014
Your boat has several tanks and they all have a name ............... only way us dumbasses can identify them.

But all that aside, we're off to the races. The Brand of indicator is a WEMA which is a UK company. The most likely level sensor (located in the tank) is a float mechanism which changes the resistance of the sender as the position of the float rises and falls. See attached.

Before you proceed with removing the sender from the tank, I would suggest checking the meter (what you read) for a 12V power supply. From what you have described, this may be your problem. Let us know and we'll go from there
Thank you....running the boat home in a few weeks.... will troubleshoot and report...I was thinking it may be a common problem....All Good Ralph...