Tank Monitor Installations

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Again thank you for all the ideas. After almost 2 months of obsessing and researching I have finally found a system that will work for me.

SCAD monitors fell off the shortlist when I learned they could only use their sensors and I would need 2 displays to show levels on 3 tanks. The most attractive feature of the SCAD system was the external sensors, however, in my application only 1 tank was accessible to install the sensor.

Kus Industries makes reliable reed/magnetic sensors for fuel, water, and waste tanks. They also have a clever mounting system that only requires one hole in the tank, making the installation pretty simple and fool proof. They are also reasonably priced. These resistive senders are not compatible with the SCAD monitors.

This month Defender has a deal on a Simrad GO7 XSR MFD with a $100 rebate. I was considering adding a remote display for the instruments and the MFD was the cost of the display and could show tank levels for up to 5 tanks. The display issue was solved.

The last piece was translating the output of the sensors to NMEA 2000. Navico makes a tank level sensor that does just this at a fairly reasonable price.

Installing the system on the N2K network will be easier than running the wires for the SCAD system. Tank levels will also be visible on the primary Chartplotter and on the phone and tablet apps. The latter will be handing when filling the tanks. I can watch the levels on the phone and know when the tank is full.

Finally, when I ordered the MFD, Defender gave me an extra 5% off if I signed up for their mailing list.

The total cost is more than 2 SCAD systems, however, the greater functionality of the system is a plus.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Kus Industries makes reliable reed/magnetic sensors for fuel, water, and waste tanks.
I really hate to to piss on your cornflakes after all the work you've done, but their "reliable reed/ magnetic sensor" is actually a "switch". It is NOT a sensor. It is a switch which reacts to a moving sensor (a float). It's this little float which kills all holding tanks which use a moving sensor:poop:. Think WEMA holding tank gauge. Same thing.

KUS.jpg

Notice on their holding tank sensor, the three vertical filling holes at the bottom and the three air vent holes at the top. Works on a float and it doesn't take long for the bottom holes to plug.

Only a gauge which works on an external sensor will last in a holding tank ................... unless you want to clean out the little holes every few months.

Jan 11, 2014
I really hate to to piss on your cornflakes after all the work you've done, but their "reliable reed/ magnetic sensor" is actually a "switch". It is NOT a sensor. It is a switch which reacts to a moving sensor (a float). It's this little float which kills all holding tanks which use a moving sensor:poop:. Think WEMA holding tank gauge. Same thing.

View attachment 190797

Notice on their holding tank sensor, the three vertical filling holes at the bottom and the three air vent holes at the top. Works on a float and it doesn't take long for the bottom holes to plug.

Only a gauge which works on an external sensor will last in a holding tank ................... unless you want to clean out the little holes every few months.
Yes your info is correct. I am aware of how the KUS/Wema sensors work. If you read the installation instructions they recommend the the sensor does not reach down below half the depth of the holding tank. Most of the solids will be below that level. Using holding tank additives like Zaal NoFlex Digestor or this product from Camco (Amazon links) reduce the amount of solids in the tank.

Unlike water tanks, when you need to know they are approaching empty, with holding tanks you need to know when they are approaching full. I don't think this will be a significant issue. And if I have to clean the tank sensors once a year, that is not a big deal when compared to the effort required to install an external sensor. If it does become a problem, I can always switch to a ultra sound sensor.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I am aware of how the KUS/Wema sensors work.
I wish you luck with it. Everything on a boat is a compromise.

What really caught my eye is your reference to Zaal NoFlex Digestor . First time I've seen a digestor which relies on oxygenation rather than an array of enzymes etc, etc, etc. Seeing as how most of our holding tank odour problems are due to a near anaerobic environment, this looks like it may be worth a try.

Jan 11, 2014
I wish you luck with it. Everything on a boat is a compromise.

What really caught my eye is your reference to Zaal NoFlex Digestor . First time I've seen a digestor which relies on oxygenation rather than an array of enzymes etc, etc, etc. Seeing as how most of our holding tank odour problems are due to a near anaerobic environment, this looks like it may be worth a try.
I was skeptical at first. Then I tried it. It works. The other product I mentioned from Camco came highly recommended.

You might find these articles from Practical Sailor helpful.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
How does that Navico fluid level sensor work? Does it work off a plain old float sensor in a fuel or water tank ?

Jan 11, 2014
How does that Navico fluid level sensor work? Does it work off a plain old float sensor in a fuel or water tank ?
It connects to a resistive sensor, which may be a plain float sensor or some of the ultra-sound ones.

Float sensors that use arms, like the ones in most fuel tanks fail because crude builds up in the arm joints and the float sticks or the cheap float gets saturated and no longer floats. The sensors that Kus makes do not absorb liquids so they remain buoyant and simply ride up and down on a shaft. Inside the shaft are a series of small magnetic switches which open and close increasing or decreasing the internal resistance. The Navico sensor reads the resistance and translates that in a NMEA 2000 compliant data string. The MFD then reads the data and display the tank level.

Yacht Design and Maretron make similar devices, although considerably more expensive.