Tandem Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Well - it's on it's way. One brand spanking new axle, 3 sets of spring hangers, equalizer bars, 4 new leaf spring packs. Next week it's time to start grinding and welding!

I decided it was time to make my trailer a dual axle. I expect much improved towing and maybe it will stop leaving 6" depressions into the grass everytime it's parked for a week. 3500 lbs, on a 3500 lb axle, with a maximum tire rating of 3750, is just cutting it too close for comfort in my book.
Plus, when I buy a 26.5, I fully expect to be able to use this trailer for that boat!

I should mention that this is a pretty inexpensive modification too. All the hardware only cost me $250, including shipping from Alabama to Lake Ontario!

www.abctrailerparts.com Is pretty slick - they split the parts up so that no package was heavy or big enough to get a major surcharge!

Apr 21, 2006
Macgregor 26X Pirates Cove, Alabama
hi, did you also consider adding brakes to your new axle? If so, did you go with the drum type , or rotor?

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
You might want to consider movable mounts.

Several trailer makers make up their axle mounts so that the axles can be moved fore and aft to trim the weight on the trailer. The bracketry combines fender mounts and spring mounts and clamps to the trailer frame with 'U" bolts. It also eliminates welding on the frame. This would allow you to position the boat exactly as you want on the trailer and still be able to set the tongue weight as you need it. I've seen several makers who have done this. Load Rite and Venture come to mind.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
brakes

Nah - I already added brakes to the original axle, which is more than sufficient. sometime in the future I may add a second set of brakes, but for the moment I don't see a need.
Moveable mounts seems like a good idea! Could easily be made - weld the mounts to steel plates with holes for u bolts, rather than the frame.

Edit: I priced it out, and it looks like going with movable axle would have added another $80-100 to the project. I end up needing to fabricate six mounting points, plus the fenders etc . the upside, though, is that I no longer need to deal with the galvanizing on the frame when welding.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
All I need to know about Sand Sailor's trailer is:

Where does the chrome car bumper go?

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Where does the chrome car bumper go?
85 chevy pickup, what do I win:dance: Sand, looking at the picture it looks like you have added an extendable tongue. The only problem I have had with mine is that the inside of the outer part tends to rust and if you leave the inner part inside it can get stuck, think hydraulic jack to get it loose, paint hasn't seemed to help, grease seems to work best, but it is messy and slippery to walk on when launching. Have you had yours in the water yet, any better ideas? Tim

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I just block the tires and use the truck to get my tounge loose! Then, on the way back in, I just strap a come-along to the truck and trailr and winch it back together. Had the ame experience with grease- mesy. A better answay would probably be to paint the inner tounge with a hard, slippery paint (epoxy).

Work started today - everything is all blocked up, the old spring hangers are half cut off, and I've decided on a bolt-on susension subframe. To move it, I'll need to drill new holes in the frame, but oh well.

Hey sand sailor - what did you use as the screws for your bunk? Threaded steel pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.