Tampico, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Anybody ever been to Tampico, Mexico? I'm looking for information to help plan a sailing trip from Galveston to Tampico for the end of the year.

Information needed:
- place to dock...either marina or hotel with dock on the river? Or...a place to anchor and then where to tie up the dinhgy?

- immigration station?

- Fuel docks?

- I know this is a stretch, but anybody sailed there from Galveston on this board? I would like to know how the Rhumb line is; cluttered with rigs? I know we have tons of rigs along the continental shelf and that 90% of this trip is inside the shelf, but some areas are clearer then others (Believe it or not, I made it to Veracruz only seeing about 3 rigs the whole way). If I have to worry about rigs every 4-8 miles, it could make the 450 miles a pain as a single handler.

I asked our local GBCA board but no responses so far. If none here, I'll head over to the 7 seas or something like that (haven't been on that board in years).

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
In the 1980's and 90's, Ed Campbell and his wife made numerous trips from Seabrook to various Mexican ports and to the Bahamas in their Cape Dory 25 "Cassiopeia". They wrote several cruising guides titled "Campbells Guide To Cruising Texas" and others. If I remember correctly he wrote one about Mexico. Ed retired to somewhere near Corpus Christi and I believe he is still actively sailing. Snoop around the book stores for his books, or try to locate him on the web. He wrote great sailing directions. He is a great guy and loves to talk sailing.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Franklin

Here's a post from a little while back on the subject and I'm sure Phil aka Nice & Easy the author will chime in

"I have been keeping an eagle eye on hurricane Ike for a few days now. Finally looks like we are out of danger, unless of course it makes a turn to the north. :) But all the computer models keep shifting it farther and farther south. Maybe this thing will end up in Mexico. A direct hit on Tampico would not hurt my feelings. I hate that nasty, dirty, stinky, unfriendly, corrupt place. And besides that, I can drive from here to the Belize border without consulting a map, but I will get lost in Tampico. "

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Tampico

Franklin,
I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to go to Tampico. It is a filthy, corrupt, nasty place.
I have never been in there by boat, but have been there many times driving. One thing you would certainly need to do, is take lots of cash. Bribery is a way of life in Mexico, but even more so in Tampico. I have had cops there tell me it was 20 bucks, just for checking my paperwork. Once I had a cop tell me that I would have to wait till Monday morning to see the judge, and it was Friday. I knew exactly what that meant, but a 20 fixed the problem. If you are wanting a short trip, try La Pesca. It is about 150 miles S. of Brownsville, a very small fishing village. There are no marinas, but a good anchorage just inside the jetties, on the north side of the river. Fuel was available about a mile upstream last time I was there. Limited provisions available at a little store in town. But haven't been there for a three or four years. I think you went to Vera Cruz this past summer, and I can assure you that Vera Cruz is as good as there is down there. I love that place. Villahermosa is also pretty nice, but thats a pretty long haul. Not a lot available other than that, until basically you get to the Yucatan. There is a cruising guide available, that covers the west coast of Mexico, and the Yucatan. It is a Florida to Panama Canal guide, and it it pretty good. I will try to come up with the name of it, or find it somewhere. Katrina got my copy. Best of luck to you, and if I can be of any help, will be glad to if I can. But I will see if I can come up with the name of that guide.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
How about Tuxpan then? :) It's another 70 miles so another half day of sailing....hmmm. Anybody have information about Tuxpan?

I've heard about Ed but didn't know he wrote about Mexico. I'll look for that. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
nothing I hate more then corruption so I'll stay away from Tampico. Figures it being an oil town and I know about oil towns. I like small out of the way places with real people so I will look into La Pesca. Question though....where does one tie up the dinhgy when anchoring there?

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
La Pesca

Franklin,
Just inside the jetties, at La Pesca,a little past the lighthouse, starboard side going in, there is a little indention in the bank.
It was a dock of some kind at some point in time. Water in there is around 8' deep. You can anchor in there, and just drag your dinghy up on the beach. Actually what I did was tie to a piling on one side, and actually dinghyed the anchor to the beach on the other side. This little hole is big enough for one boat, barely. But have never seen another one in there. La Pesca is just a quiet little fishing town.There is a bus you can take into town that comes out to the light house on a pretty frequent schedule. The fuel dock is/was about a mile upstrean, starboard side. I have left all kinds of stuff out down there, and the only thing that ever goes missing is fish hooks and line. The little kids will snatch that up in a heartbeat. I usually take some just to give them, keeps them from stealing. But they use it to eat, so I never got too pissed about it. The cruising guide I was trying to think of is by a Capt. Pat Raines, and is Florida to Panama, or something like that. There is a lot of good info in it, one of the best for the Mexican coast. Don't have much knowledge of Tuxpan. Have only been in there once, but if memory serves, the river has plenty of water, and there is fuel and provisions available. Don't remember any dock facilities. Most of the fuel docks in Mexico, you have to pull up to a commercial dock, which is usually a rough concrete bulkhead. Sorry I can't be of more help. But I can certainly recommend you don't go to Tampico.

Jun 28, 2009
Gulfstar 36' CC sloop Ingleside-On-The-Bay, TX
South of Tampico??

I dont know what ever became of this thread, but I am planing a trip for after hurricane season 2009 to go south. I have been warned away from the Rio Dulce so am looking for another destination. A place where I can leave my boat safely for 6 months at a time and use it in the winter to close by cruising grounds. I have heard that some new marinas are going in south of Tampico...perhaps Tuxpan?? Anyone know about these new places???

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
There is supposed to be one built in Vera-Cruz by June 2010 as promised by the Governor but he's made promise before and not delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.