Tampa Bay to Fort Myers

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
SW Florida sailors, any suggestions for places to stop along the way? We are leaving St Pete tomorrow planning to anchor off Anna Maria Island for the night.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Are you talking Bimini Bay at Anna Maria?
It's much better in my opinion to go up the Manatee River and anchor at DeSoto Point our first night; the area around the east side of Anna Maria Island is shoal in many places. If an East or north East wind gets up you'll be unhappy there unless in Bimini Bay. Going into Bimini Bay at Anna Maria is very nice, but the water is "thin" going in. If more than 5' draft--could be a problem. DeSoto Point is easier, a bit closer, and very pretty.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's much better in my opinion to go up the Manatee River and anchor at DeSoto Point your first night; the area around the east side of Anna Marina Island is shoal in many places. Going into Bimini Bay at Anna Maria is very nice, but the water is "thin" going in. If more than 5' draft--could be a problem. DeSoto Point is easier, a bit closer, and very pretty.
After that (night two) a very nice place to anchor is behind Otter Key which is off Big Sarasota Pass toward north. Again, a little tricky getting in but very nice. If you want to go [much] further, sail to Venice; go in Venice inlet from sea and stay at Higel Marine Park. There's a free dock; nice park--easy to get ashore. But might need a back up plan if the space is all taken (FC-FS).

Jun 2, 2007
Don't see Bimini Bay on the chart (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place). The spot we had in mind was just south of the Cortez bridge, near the west end.
The next night they're forecasting 15 kt winds, so we would probably be looking for a marina. At this point maybe Marina Jack's but open to suggestions.

Jun 2, 2007
And I just found Bimini Bay, don't think we're going in there with 5' draft.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
And I just found Bimini Bay, don't think we're going in there with 5' draft.
OK, you're talking inside along ICW perhaps near Moore's. Yeah, that's a good place; holding is variable. However, it might be a bit further south than where I think you're describing just past the Cortez Bridge. Moore's is just south of the opening between Anna Maria Island and Long Boat Key; great spot. Go ashore & have dinner at the restaurant. There used to be a dock available for side ties.

So, if you're planning on being inside already the first night Marina Jack's is an easy & convenient second night stop; it's only a little further to Otter Key which is nice; well protected. To go ashore at Otter Key you need a dink. There's a place near to haul out under a short, low bridge and then walk to St. Armands Circle, Sarasota. Very pretty.

My Pearson 30 in FL had a 5' draft; I got into Bimini Bay OK [at the right time] more than once. It was the very last place my wife and I anchored b/f decommissioning the Pearson and shipping her to Long Beach after 11 years at St. Pete. So, it's kind of special. Not that many sailboats go in there. Definitely a "local's stop."

Feb 8, 2011
Catalina 30TR Hernando Beach
Sandy,

Here's another option: You've got a 37' boat, so you're experienced and enduring sailors!

How about St. Petersburg south across Tampa Bay on the ICW (W of Sunshine Skyway bridge) and into the Ana Maria channel. Two bridges to open and pass - Ana Maria and Cortez. Unfortunately, both are on schedule. Once past Cortez, about a mile south, and to the west, anchor off the park just at Longboat Key bridge. Watch your depths here.(Longish day, but good holding.) Next morning, weather permitting, go out Longboat Key bridge, head south to Venice Inlet. At Venice, use the anchoring field by the docks, or use Crow's Nest Marina, which has great facilities. Next traveling day, outside again from Venice Inlet to Boca Grande Pass, then inside to anchor at Pelican Bay, or Useppa Island, or similar place. (Using this route saves you opening NUMEROUS bridges south of Sarasota and south of Venice.)

South of Boca Grande pass, use the ICW for about 25 nms to the Ft. Myers area - but with no bridges, just motor or motor sailing if the wind's right. That part's easy!

Enjoy your trip however you do it!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
SW Florida sailors, any suggestions for places to stop along the way? We are leaving St Pete tomorrow planning to anchor off Anna Maria Island for the night.
If it were my trip, and if using the inside route (ICW) and I had time, I'd go St. Pete to DeSoto Point on the Manatee River & anchor the first night; over the "bulkhead" and down the ICW to Otter Key in Sarasota to anchor the next night; to Higel Park in Venice the third night; then anchor behind Useppa Island in Pine Island Sound the fourth night, then into Ft. Myers on the 5th day. If you want to swing out of the ICW and enter Venice by sea [as suggested above] you can also [theoretically] go out Big Sarasota Pass instead of Longboat Pass [i.e., no back tracking required]. There are definitely a lot of bridges between Sarasota and Venice. Yes, Crow's Nest is a great place; good food & nice atmosphere; you can walk there from Higel park if you don't wish to take slippage at their marina.

Jun 2, 2007
Thanks folks, appreciate all the suggestions. Got some options now, and local knowledge is great to have. Just watching weather.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Almost everyone sailing North or South stops at Venice. It is accessible, conveniently located and there is a great restaurant there. The Crows Nest.