Tampa Bay to Charlotte Harbor mini cruise

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Hey cruisers, I'm moving my boat from Tampa Bay to Port Charlotte in a couple weeks...wondering any insightful tips for along the route. Given the many frontal systems we've been having, if my move doesn't coincide with a good weather window I may stay in the ICW. But if it's nice would like to be just offshore.

Any particular ICW spots to be concerned with?
If I have the opportunity to break out, any particular passes to avoid or best to use? (i'm thinking big sarasota pass or venice pass looks best to use to go out if the weather is nice and then come in at Boca Grande channel).
I know they don't really chart the buoys on those intermediate passes - any local knowledge to add?

Going in a Catalina 309 - 4.4' draft....

Thanks,
Dave (currently in Tampa Bay)

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I travel that route all the time. You may get in/out in Sarasota but I never even think about it with my 5'4" draft. Venice inlet is great. If out side at Venice you can go in the Swash Channel at Boca Grande. You stay close to the shore by the old pilings and its plenty deep.
ICW is fine. Stay towards the greens at Venice south of the inlet.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hey cruisers, I'm moving my boat from Tampa Bay to Port Charlotte in a couple weeks...wondering any insightful tips for along the route. Given the many frontal systems we've been having, if my move doesn't coincide with a good weather window I may stay in the ICW. But if it's nice would like to be just offshore.

Any particular ICW spots to be concerned with?
If I have the opportunity to break out, any particular passes to avoid or best to use? (i'm thinking big sarasota pass or venice pass looks best to use to go out if the weather is nice and then come in at Boca Grande channel).
I know they don't really chart the buoys on those intermediate passes - any local knowledge to add?

Going in a Catalina 309 - 4.4' draft....

Thanks,
Dave (currently in Tampa Bay)
Two questions. Where would you be departing from in TB, and would you wish to be out after dark? You’re possibly talking more than 100 n.mi. distance. The best wind would be NE, either inside or outside the ICW.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Will you have adequate bridge heights all the way on the ICW?
Either draw or swing bridges all the way, except for the Sunshine Skyway which is a couple hundred feet high at the center span, and the Ringling Causeway which is also quite high.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I looked at the satellite image of the bridge entering Port Charlotte. The cause way looked low. There is a swinging rail bridge. Did not look for the bridge height as don't have a chart. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2015
Hey guys...thanks for the info. a few facts in answer:

We're leaving from Apollo Beach. no problems/questions in us getting down to the Skyway, done that before.
Re Bridges: as noted above other than the 2 tall ones, any others would have to open.

Also - not planning to do this in one day. likely over 3 or even possibly 4 days.

thanks - David

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hey guys...thanks for the info. a few facts in answer:

We're leaving from Apollo Beach. no problems/questions in us getting down to the Skyway, done that before.
Re Bridges: as noted above other than the 2 tall ones, any others would have to open.

Also - not planning to do this in one day. likely over 3 or even possibly 4 days.

thanks - David
From Apollo Beach you're probably talking >20 n.mi. to the GOM if you're going outside Anna Maria Island, then about another about 10 n.mi. to the first place to come in for the night via Longboat Pass to stay at, say, Moore's anchorage. You do not want to transit Longboat Pass your first time after dark, IMHO. You could alternatively transit the "Bulkhead" @ < 20 n.mi. into the ICW on the inside of Anna Maria Island, & get those 10 n.mi. to Moore's that way. [Pass under two draw bridges that open on a schedule of 20-min. interval.] Either way stay the night at Moore's, then pop out Longboat Pass the next day and sail to Venice Inlet and stay at Higel Park the second night. There was once a dock there; might still be.

KG

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like a great adventure David.
You'll have to post pictures and experiences. I ll be watching.

henke

Jul 20, 2009
2 6.9 Bloomington Indiana
I am soaking this in. I plan a similar trip in March from St Pete on my Dragonfly 28.
Thanks for info!

Apr 13, 2015
...Henke - glad this is of use to more than just me!

Kings - thanks for the additional info. I'll likely be leaving Apollo Beach at an early start...say 4am. The first couple hours would be in waters I know very well. I expect (unless the weather turns out to be unbelievably good) to stay inside Anna Maria...so I'll likely go through the bulkhead and be in the ICW. If things track early enough (with an early start), I may pass Moore's and go all the way to Sarasota. In any case if the weather on the later days is fantastic, might pop out into GOM at Venice. Otherwise I'll stay in ICW until Charlotte harbor.

thanks guys,
Dave

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you make it past the Ringling Causeway the first day, a good, excellent actually, place to anchor is the cove behind Otter Key. The channel leading to there leads off the north side of Big Sarasota Pass, and is marked mostly by day shapes. So if using sight navigation, it might be tough in low light.

There’s a 90-degree turn to port very near the key on the approach side, running along side it before opening to starboard. But once in there you can anchor very securely in 30 ft or less. Splash your dink and row over to the car bridge leading to St. Armands Key. Beach it under the bridge. Now, imitating your favorite bridge troll:yikes:, get up to the road and walk the short distance to St. Armands Circle and maybe have some breakfast. It’s fun. BTW, I think the first bridge heading out of Sarasota toward Venice is a swing bridge. Have fun!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2014
Beneteau 461 Kent Narrows, MD
All really good info. I am leaving Key West in a few days for Punta Gorda. I secured a slip in Burned Store marina, a recommendation from fellow boater on Moon Dragon here in Oceans Edge marina on Stock Island. Anyone have anything -or+ to say..
I have never sailed the western shores of Florida. Or taken the ICW. My Beneteau 461 draws 6' and I will be solo handling going there. Shall I be aware of certain inlets or shallow stretches ? All info is very much appreciated. I would like to see Sonesta Key, etc.
Thank you in advance

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
All really good info. I am leaving Key West in a few days for Punta Gorda. I secured a slip in Burned Store marina, a recommendation from fellow boater on Moon Dragon here in Oceans Edge marina on Stock Island. Anyone have anything -or+ to say..
I have never sailed the western shores of Florida. Or taken the ICW. My Beneteau 461 draws 6' and I will be solo handling going there. Shall I be aware of certain inlets or shallow stretches ? All info is very much appreciated. I would like to see Sonesta Key, etc.
Thank you in advance
What is your planned route? What is your mast height? No bridges outside from Key West to Charlotte Harbor but one in Marrathon if you go there first. Also on the ICW at Sannibel if you go that way once you get to Ft Myers. Depth should not be a problem. You doing an overnight trip? ???

Jun 24, 2014
Sailing straight north from Key West to Marco Island. I plan to anchor overnight at the Alligator river. I don't like to get to Marco Island in the dark, especially not since I am sailing solo. From there straight to Charlotte harbor. Off shore preferable since I am not familiar with ICW. Is it like the Atlantic ICW? Will I have problems with a 6 feet draft?

Jun 24, 2014
I figure about one day trip from Marco Island to Charlotte harbor off shore?
My mast high is just a bit below 60'. Never had any problems on the AICW.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I figure about one day trip from Marco Island to Charlotte harbor off shore?
My mast high is just a bit below 60'. Never had any problems on the AICW.
No problem. If rough on ocean you can go inside at Ft Myers. Key West to Marco is a push. If going in at Marco follow markers carefully. Can be a little confusing with a sharp turn just inside.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Made the trip several times in various boats with friend in Punta Gorda but none over 5 foot draft. Had my H356 down there in 2013/14 for the winter. Stay in the channel if you use the GICW. Most like 4’-6” draft. My Hunter 356 has 5 feet and I have gone from Punta Gorda down ICW and under bridge at Ft Myers to Indian Key and my mast is 58.4 feet to my antenna with no issue under bridge at Ft Myers. If you’re going into Marco Island from Key West, then you will need to deal with the Romano shoals. You could get in trouble there with 6 feet, so follow the channel and buoys. I’ve not been there, so know nothing about Marco Island from the south. We always went from Key West back to Boca Grande Pass- about a 24 hour sail. You could bypass Marco and anchor outside entrance to Ft Myers, just south of the bridge. Just stay west of the Romano shoals and Naples. That is somewhat shorter than to Boca Grande Pass. A couple of times we have sailed from Punta Gorda to Indian Key, anchored there just outside the cut to Everglades City, then sailed to Key West the next day. If I remember, it’s about 12 hours from Indian Key to Key West and coming from the south there is a buoy west and south of the Romano shoals, then turn East and follow the buoys into the pass. Leaving, go back west to,the buoy before turning north to avoid the shoals. I have been through the shoals and have made the shortcut, but I have sonar. I would not advise doing that unless you have sonar and keep a good watch. You could make a two day trip going Key West to Indian Key, then Indian Key to Burnt Store either via entering GICW and motoring to Burnt Store it sailing through Boca Grande Pass. Enter Boca Grande Pass at the Green 3 buoy and you will be fine. The shallows are north of the buoys, so make the turn NE and stay south of the Greens - stay in between and follow them inside Charlotte Harbor. If you take the GICW you should have 9 feet in the channel, but you will quickly run aground if you get outside the channel with 6 feet. There is a section early on called the miserable mile that starts once you turn west from Ft Myers. It is not very wide, so stay in the middle. Have a nice trip.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2015
So, I said I’d give a follow up when I completed this trip. Here it is with some serious (even dangerous) moments and important lessons (only about 18 months late….) Sorry this is long,

Schedule-itis: We planned to leave Tampa Bay at the end of Feb (2020). We had a weekend picked and had the following Mon off from work - so that’s when we were going. How many times have you read or heard - don’t pick a schedule and then convince yourself it would work out? The winds were predicted to be very strong northerly for Sat, diminishing some on Sun, then turning around to strong southernly on Mon. Well, I’m thinking that’s perfect, for Sat we need to sail south (we’ll have following wind) and then enter the ICW, we’ll stop in Sarasota, on Sunday we’d be in the ICW all day stopping around Englewood overnight, on Mon we’d continue on into Charlotte Harbor and be then heading north (with that southernly wind) as our new place is in the very northern reaches at Port Charlotte.

We spent the night on the boat in the marina so we could leave early Sat in the am. All night the winds were howling out of the north. We got up before dawn and slipped the lines and headed out just at the sky was getting the slightest bit of light. Hmmm - things looked different. The channel usually has shallow water on both sides exiting the marina. Today it was land on both sides and the channel was just a narrow canal. The extreme northerly winds had blown the water out of Tampa bay and the level was lower than we had ever seen it.

Tunnel vision: the last portion of the channel to get to the bay heads north, after which I’d be turning west for a short bit then southwest. As I’m getting to the end of the channel and the wind is coming hard from the northeast, I’ve just got to get through this last bit of channel and we’ll be turning more downwind. I pass the second to last nav aid and am now only looking at the last red buoy (the green one is missing). I have a death-grip on the wheel and my eyes fixed on that buoy with me keepin the boat aimed about 20 feet to it’s right side. I’m now encountering waves as we get away from the breakwater’s protection. Suddenly I’m hitting bottom. But in the waves, it’s a bumping - not good. I realized….I’m out of the channel, way off to the left. Once I had passed the second to last marker, I only had the one point of reference. The wind was blowing me to port big-time and I didn’t even realize it. Had I glanced down at the chart-plotter or back at the line of markers behind me it would have been obvious. Anyway, I powered back into the channel (between bumps of the bottom) and got past the last marker and turned left and the wind was now a bit aft of my beam and things were a bit calmer.

We checked for any leaking - none and continued under engine. The radio has nothing on it but the coast guard spouting the small craft advisories. Winds are sustained in the high 20’s with gusts in the upper 30’s. That’s more than I care to enjoy, but…”well we’ll be going downwind”.

After about 30min the sky is light (but just flat grey) and our course turns further south so the wind is at about 120 degrees. We shut down the engine and put out a bit of jib. We are flying toward the Sunshine skyway. The further south we get, of course the larger the waves are as the fetch is getting longer. With only a bit of jib, I’m routinely seeing 9.8 knots from the gps which is above hull speed.

Near Disaster: so, we had unzipped the mainsail cover and attached the halyard in case we were going to use it. As we are nearing the skyway bridge the wind has pulled a tiny bit of main up out of the stack-pack and I decide I’d better secure the main better. The waves have been seemingly pretty regular, rhythmic (although large). So I stand up on the cockpit seat to do that. Something happens - rogue wave or whatever. The boat lurches to port, I’m thrown violently to starboard. I didn’t go overboard only because my right shoulder hits the lifelines, my left shoulder hits the ss tubing supporting the bimini (and the impact broke the fitting at the deck) and my wife was grabbing my arm with all she had (while steering). Yes we were wearing pfd’s. But it would have been disaster if I had gone overboard. It was cold, the wind was howling. It would have been near impossible for my wife to get turned around on her own much less spot me in the water in that sea condition. We both kinda sat silent for a bit as we headed on and passed under the Sunshine Skyway….

I was concerned about entering the ICW near Egmont Key due to the waves. Turned out to be fine though. Motoring down the ICW was no problem and the day was fine. We stayed at Marina Jacks in Sarasota and had a grand dinner (it was my wife’s birthday). The next day we motored down the ICW to Englewood and anchored the night just south of the Tom Adams bridge.

Headed out monday morning. Now we have a bit to go further south through the last bridge and then past Boca Grande before turning east into Charlotte harbor and then North up to Port Charlotte. As we do that last 10 miles or so heading south, the southerly winds kick in - gusting over 20. So for about 2 hours we are heading into wind and rocking waves. This is a beautiful area with Carribian looking water and sand bottom in a channel but with very shallow water on both sides. I’m now kicking myself that I didn’t put the extra 5 gals of diesel into the tank while we were at the calm anchorage (the yellow can is lashed to the shrouds). I’ve got like ⅜ tank of fuel, but I’m watching the fuel gauge swing wildly due to the rocking motion. It’s constantly swinging from what looks like ¾ tank to empty. My anxiety level is quite high thinking the engine is going to suck air at any point and quit cold. If the engine were to quit, could I set the anchor fast enough and would it even be possible to do so and keep us out of the shallows - not likely. I could maybe turn 180 and sail downwind down the channel - but to where? I’m going to get back to that bridge and there’s really nowhere to sail to before it and no good place to anchor.

Anyway, the engine ran perfectly for the couple hours without a hiccup and once we hit the turn to the east, we raised the sails, reached into Charlotte harbor and then ran up to our dock arriving at sunset. Whew!

Glad that trip was over, it was pretty beautiful along the way. But we did learn some important lessons along the way.

Thanks for the comments above folks,
Dave - in Port Charlotte