tampa area

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I am getting ready to be transferred to Tampa, Florida for my job.. I work for the rail road and am being considered for a transfer to the big rail yard there.. I am looking at a 41' Soverel sailboat to buy.. I need a good marina to keep it at that also offers liveaboard.. I plan to live on my boat for a while so I can save some money and buy a house later.. i am not familiar with the Tampa or it's surroundings.. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.. I have about a 3 month time window I think, before this move would take place..

anyone in the Tampa area that can help with information or suggestions, thank you..

sincerely
Jess

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
hello all I am getting ready to be transferred to Tampa, Florida for my job.. I work for the rail road and am being considered for a transfer to the big rail yard there.. I am looking at a 41' Soverel sailboat to buy.. I need a good marina to keep it at that also offers liveaboard.. I plan to live on my boat for a while so I can save some money and buy a house later.. i am not familiar with the Tampa or it's surroundings.. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.. I have about a 3 month time window I think, before this move would take place.. anyone in the Tampa area that can help with information or suggestions, thank you.. sincerely Jess
St Pete Municipal and The Harborage come to mind, but that is not really my area, Maybe Benny or Don will see this and help out.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Last time I checked, St Pete municipal marina had a 2yr waiting list. Most other places I know of do not allow live-aboards but others here should have more current info.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
If you are working in Tampa, you would likely live in Tampa rather than St. Petersburg. Many smaller marinas around Tampa. Also look at Apollo Beach. The Harborage in St. Petersburg does allow live aboards. I have a friend with a live aboard slip in Clearwater for sale or rent. There are a lot of places around. It depends on how much you like to drive in traffic. As far as buying a boat. Recommend waiting until you get down here to choose. Lots of boats for sale. You may find renting an apartment is better than renting a live aboard slip. I'll also put a pug in for joining the SSCA. Active live aboard group that will help you with connections in living aboard and cruising.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Last time I checked, St Pete municipal marina had a 2yr waiting list. Most other places I know of do not allow live-aboards but others here should have more current info.
I know nothing, but one afternoon a few months ago I was on the computer googling, playing and looking at marina's in that area and it appeared "live-aboards" were a dime a dozen at many marina's in the greater Tampa area...

I didn't get names or really take serious notes as I am at least 5-7 years from relocating and retiring, but it didn't look like some major issue to find accommodations...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First of all welcome to the forum. Like Don indicates most Marinas in the area do not accept liveaboards. Those that offer attractive rates have long waiting lists. The list of those that I know that might have liveaboard slips at reasonable rates is real short and may entail having to drive long distance to and from work. 1) The Harborage Marina in St Petersburg 2) Regatta Pointe Marina in Palmetto. My honest recommendation is that you come down boatless and wait until you become familiar with the area to find a boat and a convenient Marina. Good luck.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I have been on the forum here for a while now... thanks for the welcome.... I have been looking for a sailboat for a while in the 36 to 45 ft range... the company is considering me for a transfer to the Tampa area for work...

I am looking to buy a 41' Soverel sailboat up north and sail her down to Tampa... I am planning to live on the boat for a while to save some money while I am working... this is a great deal on the 41' Soverel... I can buy it now, and in a few months when I transfer, I can sail it to Florida...

thanks for all the information and help... SSCA ????.. what is the SSCA ???

sincerely
Jess

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
marina

I had to chime in on this. I live north of Clearwater Florida and would have to agree with the limited live aboard marina comments. They certainly are not "dime a dozen" as someone previously posted. Some I have checked on allow sleep over on the weekends only and may take a blind eye approach if you keep it on the down low during the week? Slips in general are sometimes hard to come by down here. There are tons of boats here, tons!
It sounds like a great dream. buy a really good deal sailboat and take off on an adventure south to a new sailing mecca-new job, etc. But, what if the boat "looks" good but it isn't? Or breaks down enroute? You will likely have a start date to your job transfer? If the boat can't be fixed in a hurry you would have to leave it wherever it is and continue on land, get a place to stay, start your job, pay for storage for your boat until you can get time off to repair/sail her on down. I know a girl that was paying over $800 a month for a 40ft liveaboard slip in Tarpon springs and that was 10+ years ago.
There are tons and tons of boat "deals" down here. The sun is hard on a boat though compared to up there. If it were me in your shoes, I would take a long weekend and fly down to Tampa, find out where you will be working at, and start looking for marina's closest to work. You will most likely be looking for some place that has access to" the Bay of Tampa" , big body of water. Take a look at some of the boats for sail at the marina's you visit. Personally, I would trailer my 23 down, get an apartment with trailer storage available on site (difficult) sail the area to see what I like best. Then consider a big boat and living aboard options. Just my 2 cents

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ssca

Seven Seas Cruising Assoc is the largest sailing association next to us sailing. well worth it to join if you need 'connections'

they also have vast training and education resources.

how far are you willing to drive? 1 hour daily? 30 min? Bradenton is the area I hear about most for liveaboards... *but I don't have 1st hand knowledge.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I know nothing, but one afternoon a few months ago I was on the computer googling, playing and looking at marina's in that area and it appeared "live-aboards" were a dime a dozen at many marina's in the greater Tampa area...

Things always look different when viewed up close.

If you are really considering a move in a few years, it may already be too late to obtain a slip by the time you arrive. The number and rate of people moving here is increasing daily and will only get larger but the number of slips is pretty much "max-ed" out now. Unless someone creates more shoreline, you might want to start serious planning now.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I agree on several points made...tons of boats available in the Tampa area, buying a boat and immediately leaving on a cruise is full of traps.
The Harborage and Regatta Pointe are your 2 best options for livaboard. Both will have commuter traffic issues.
Drive down, rent an apartment for 6 months and scope things out.

Jan 6, 2010
Train,

Here's a few things to think about. Finding a live-aboard slip in the Tampa Bay area that do NOT have a waiting list is abit tough. A less exotic/located marina may work for you in the interim, but sailing in the north part of the bay for me is not enjoyable. Too many skinny areas & shipping.

The Harborage has floating docks, easy in/out & nice amenities/clubhouse, shopping & restaurants close by. The only drawback would by the drive back-n-forth. I'm guessing you may be working at the Port of Tampa, it's a good 30-40 miles each way.

The upsides of keeping your boat in St. Pete. or the beach areas, are better sailing room & quicker outs. I always hated sailing the bay (especially the north end) & some of my friends(?) have even named a sandbar after me. I used to get tired of bumping into the sides & having to tack back-n-forth. There's also a lot of close chop. not high but enough to slow you down & you also feel the tides much more. Just not enough good sailing room for me in the Bay unless you're going lengthwise. The Harborage, O Neil's & the municipal marina are the best in the bay.

I believe Apollo beach may have a live-aboard marina & closer to your work.
For a Beach locale, you can try the Madeira Beach municipal marina. From here it's 1/2 hour to the Gulf thru John's Pass & wide open sailing. I sail out of here.

If it were me, the first decision would be, "Do I want to live close to where I work, or do I want a better location from which to sail.

CR

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks for all the advice... I will certainly take it into consideration... I should be moving to Florida in a few months.. sometime around May/June/July time frame... I can hold off on a sailboat until I get down there, if I need to... it was just this is a really good deal on this 41' Soverel... it is hard to pass up on... again thanks for all the help and advice...

sincerely
Jess

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Things always look different when viewed up close.
It usually does, plus being retired I can live anywhere and prefer to live someone far out of the way and cheap. Maybe work at a gym, Starbucks or even in a boatyard to make a few extra bucks and stay connected to real world.

Without a firm exit date, I can't really plan anything.

Like I said, just punching in "Tampa marina's" and "live-aboards" came up with a half dozen or so hits of marina's that appear (at least from their website) to have vacancies and welcomed live-aboards.

Like I said, I know nothing and not professing too....

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Well Jess, if you are going to be working at the CSX terminal on US 41 you may want to check with Land's End Marina in Apollo Beach to see if they still allow live aboard. This place is rather expensive but it would be close to your work and a nice and convenient place to first bring your boat into. I know they have vacancies and could accommodate a 41 footer. The thing is you could stay there for 2-3 months and that would ease your arrival and give you time to find some other. There are also rental properties in the area with available docks but for that you would need to consult a realtor. You will also need a car in the Tampa Bay area as public transportation is almost non-existing. Oh and practically all Marinas here will require boat insurance. Good luck.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I will be bringing my jeep and motorcycle down to Florida too... and my son is bringing his jeep too... my son will be transferring from the local college in Indianapolis to Tampa area to study marine biology... I would like to transfer to Tampa CSX rail yard to work, but not sure yet where the company will transfer me too...

after talking with my friend who checked out the 41' Soverel, the owner and I could not come to an agreement on the price... i have backed off the deal for now, maybe the owner will come down even further on the price to make it a wonderful deal for the boat... time will tell..

sincerely
Jess