Tall Rig Advantages?

• Thread starter louise@ca.inter.net
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

louise@ca.inter.net

Hi again folks. The boat I'm looking at buying is an '86 Cat 36 with the tall rig. I thought the tall rig might be good in the SO Cal light airs, since the boat will end up West Coast. But I have questions about the tall rig: 1) Does it increase/decrease the resale value of the boat. Do Cat owners consider this a desireable feature? 2) Any concerns about initial stability ratio being decreased by the tall rig? Anyone know the angle of heel at which the boat flips for tall/standard rigs? After reading "Heavy Weather Sailing" I'm more alert to these issues. 3) Anyone out there with the tall rig, do you find yourself having to reef or furl quite early or are you generally happy with it? 4) How many reef points in the standard tall rig main, 2 or 3? Just because Catalina offered the option doesn't mean it's a good one ... Thanks again Louise

C

Chris Hyland

Tall rig

Hi Louise, I own a standard rig 36, but wouldn't think twice about buying a tall rig boat, especially for sialing in light air. I don't think you'd notice the boat being that much more tender based on mast height. The standard rig has two reef points, I'm not sure but the tall may have three. I've heard tall rig owners say they reef at about 25 knts of wind. The standard will handle about 30 safely. My guess is in light air the tall rig will really shine. It all depends on your sailing area. As for resale, all C36's have great resale... Regards, Chris

P

Peter

Tall rig

I can't really help you Louise, I've got a c27 standard rig. But I recommend that you check the archives, I recall several discussions on tall rig vs standard. Also, you may find that a previous owner changed the main and may have more or less reef points than what was originally in the 36.

T

Trevor

1986 C36TR

I have a 1986 C36 tall rig in Seattle and appreciate the extra sail area. I do reef when the wind pipes up over 20k when beating, but don't mind doing it to sail faster (flat is fast!). Comparing the tall with the standard, I figure it's easier to reduce sail on a TR than to add sail to a SR. You can't go wrong either way in my opinion. I ordered a mainsail made from Doyle (from this site) with 2 reef points, but you can obviously go with 3 if you prefer. Best of luck, Trevor S/V Dunoon C36 #640

K

Kevin R.

Go with the TR

We own a C-30 TRBS, and found that for the 30's the Tall Rigs were more sought after. The used TR's moved pretty quickly, while the standards tended to stay on the market longer. Granted, different market, different boat. But I've heard similar comments on other Cat models.

G

George B.

Tall Rigs are Fine

I think a tall rig is more desirable in So Cal and you should see a higher resale value (how high is anybody's guess). Resale value is somewhat lower in Nor Cal due to the higher winds up here. So Cal winds are pretty consistent in the summer and you shouldn't be surprised by any summer storms. Stability is more affected by sail area than mast height so reefing will maintain stability. I owned a tall rig C28 on SF Bay. I'd set my first reef when the winds were in the high teens and be in my second reef at 25kts. I could reef later, but the boat and crew starts getting beat up. We'd cheat a little by moving the traveller down and placing the lead block on the toe rail tack in order to open up the slot. If I was planing to go up past Point Conception with any regularity, I'd get a third reef sewn in (but not necessarily always rigged up). Conditions there aren't always good and your return schedule might not allow you to wait for a good weather window.

L

Les Murray

I've got one

I have a 86 C-36 (#560) with the tall rig and fin keel. I like it a lot. I do end up reefing around 20 kts. With that reef in, she sails pretty flat and still does hull speed. In about 20 kts of wind she will heal about 25 - 30 degrees. I have noticed that when on a broad reach or a run in wind over 20 kts appearant, she will tend to try and round up or broach. So a reef will help off the wind as well to keep her balanced. The C-36 is a nice sailing craft. I can balance out the sails on a nice reach and basically let the boat sail herself. The fin keel makes her handle real nice as well. She can almost turn within her length. I think you will find the C-36 to be a great boat. I have not found another boat in this size with a better layout down below. Good luck and fair winds. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh '86 C-36 #560

L

Les Murray

Chris, are you a member of OSCA?

Chris, Been seeing your posts for a little while. Are you a member of the Ocean State Catalina Assoc. (OSCA)? If so, I look forward to seeing you on the water. If not, come join us! Fair winds, Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560 member OSCA and Bristol Yacht Club

C

Chris Hyland

Osca

Hi Les, Actually I am. We were given a membership by Eastern Yachts when we bought the boat. I have yet to meet up with you folks, but look forward to it. I've been told OSCA is a fun group. Regards, Chris

R

Rodd C.

Call Catalina and check the HIN number!

I just purchased a C-36 and it was sold to me as a tall rig. She was sold to the previos owner as a tall rig and also to the original owner. I called to get some info from Catalina and they researched the info and told me she is really a standard rig ( they have all the original build sheets on file at least back to 1977)! Two previous owners never discovered this. I hate to admit it but the same thing happened when I purchased my C-30 6 years ago. I think this is a common ploy with brokers to move boats. If someone comes in asking for a TR they just say oh yeah we have one of those... I mean how many Catalina purchasers are going to pull out the tape measure? I did get a substantial price reduction on my boat because of the "mistake". For the record I sailed my C-30 and a friends C-30 with a TR for a whole summer before I doscovered that my boat had the SR. If your racing go for it for cruising I wouldn't worry.

C

Craig Cody

I've got a tall rig...

Louise, I've got a 1985 tall rig (Hull #385). I couldn't tell you how much differently it sails compared to a standard rig, as I have only sailed on one a couple of times. Here in Santa Barbara, I find that she moves nicely in light airs, and I don't even think of reefing until about 20k. My boat has 2 reefpoints, I don't know that three would be required in SoCal. Of all the boats I've owned, my C36 is my overall favorite for sailing characteristics, room, etc. Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.