Take two: Sell day is NOT one of the happiest…

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I didn’t want to hijack @DAVA390 ’s thread so I started this one.

I sold my Hunter 26 today. It was not a happy day. After it was over with I went back to the house and had what only could be described as an adrenaline crash …took an hour and a half nap before I could do anything productive. I was sad to see her go. I’m not done with sailing though. I still have my hobie 16 and I’m looking for something in the compact 16 range or maybe a Montgomery 19 style pocket cruiser.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Condolences.. I like the Montgomery. I had the 15. It was a great trailer boat. Camping in the boat was possible for 1.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I sold my Hunter 26 today. It was not a happy day.
I find this to be highly irregular and quite unacceptable :( .

After so many years on this site, I feel there should be an obligation on the part of the owner to forewarn all members of one's intention to sell. This will give said members unlimited time to try to talk said owner out of selling his boat. This can only cause said member more grief and misery than he already has but what the hell, misery loves company.

My condolances on selling your Hunter 26. Probably somewhat akin to selling a kidney, only worse.

1632623343769.png

The Montgomery could well fill the gap left by the Hunter. We'll expect your continuing presence on the site.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think posting pictures of you sailing your hobie, pontoon flying, would help.

I am a ComPac fan. Comfy camper with a nice wide V-berth for two, big active owner's group.

Congratulations on selling your old boat. Adventure awaits for both you with your new boat and your old boat with her new owner.

-Will

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The boat selling disease seems to have arrived on this site…
I sold my boat two weeks ago.
I lost my really convenient winter storage as did others of us here because the two local marina owners elected not to handle sailboats any longer. We did find a really good alternative, but it is 30 miles away.
Because of the inconvenience mostly, and partly my age, I decided it was time. I had a good boat, the resale market was good, so I put it up for sale.
Granted, I have regrets, but I also have no winter storage bills, and some spare cash for the moment.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@DougM
It sounds like you have paralled some similar issues. One of the reasons I moved to Charleston was for the sailing. I was really stoked about moving here. But when I got here, what I found was $650 - $750/mo slip rentals and a housing market that was easily 5x more expensive than where I was coming from. So the slip was out of the question and the H26 is a bit much to day sail and put up on the trailer each time you want to go sailing. So I started looking for a condo with slips and found one I really like..... and I bought it.... but there is a bridge between me and the Charleston Bay with only 14 feet clearance. It opens but only with 24 hour notice and not during rush hours and and and... so.... a full 13 months went by with the bottom of my boat dry. It was time to sell and figure out other ways to enjoy the water. I'll probably buy a stinkpot runabout and then spend some time looking for that compac or montgomery or maybe a cat boat would be fun... I figure in about 4 or 5 years I'll start having some grandkids and then I'll have a new crew and might need a larger boat but for now I'll be the only one over night camping on the boat.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I didn’t want to hijack @DAVA390 ’s thread so I started this one.

I sold my Hunter 26 today. It was not a happy day. After it was over with I went back to the house and had what only could be described as an adrenaline crash …took an hour and a half nap before I could do anything productive. I was sad to see her go. I’m not done with sailing though. I still have my hobby 16 and I’m looking for something in the compact 16 range or maybe a Montgomery 19 style pocket cruiser.
I have been volunteering at the Baltimore County Sailing Center, hoping to get my sailng fix in there although the biggest they have is a Flying Scott...

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
rgranger
Here in Michigan my slip fees are zero because I have deeded deep water space on the wall ten steps from my house, but if I had the boat somewhere else who knows what the cost would be.
My sailing season is short, usually Late May to September. My winter storage cost on the hard ran around $2.50 per square foot for the entire layup, and my insurance is far less expensive.

Looking at cost where I would be if my boat was near my place in Virginia, I am sure I would be looking at costs similar to yours. When I last looked there, just having the boat on the hard for a month would have been more than the monthly slip fees you encountered in Charleston.

The opposite side of that, if my boat was in Virginia, I would have a much longer sailing season.
The marina where I live is already just about emptied out and September isn’t over yet.