Tacking a lightning class boat

Nov 5, 2012
Catalina 36 Mumbai
I have been sailing the Lightning class boat in regional and national competitions. While i love racing the boat, I find it difficult to tack the boat well. I lose out the most in races coz of poor tacks. Can anyone help me with the tacking steps to ensure no speed is lost?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
This may be late, for a post made a while ago, but it may still help. We can't know what you're doing when you tack, or what "mistakes" you might be making. The best thing to do may be to go out for trials with another boat. Sail along upwind together on the same tack and then both tack at the same time. Have your middle crew watch you and the other boat, to see what you're both doing. Try doing the next tack a little differently, based on the observation. Maybe your timing is wrong - turning when the bow's been pushed down by a wave, instead of on the upswing. Maybe you're turning too hard, stalling the rudder and stalling the boat. Maybe you're turning too slowly, letting the boat coast while it's pointed to windward, but slowing down. Maybe your crew is releasing the jib too soon, or sheeting it in too late. Comparing what you do with the other boat will give you a better idea of what you can do to improve. Plan on spending an hour or two sailing with your partner boat, and then have a good talk afterwards back on shore. Good luck!