Tack setting 110 jenny

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
To prevent halyard wrap my 110 tack is about 10 inches above bow rail. Great vision but think it should be lower.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm kind of confused, is the tack not connected to the fuller or is there a pendant line from the tack to the fuller? Is this a new sail? Pics might be helpful.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
To prevent halyard wrap my 110 tack is about 10 inches above bow rail. Great vision but think it should be lower.
One should have nothing to do with the other.
Do you have a halyard restrainer on the top of your mast?
What furling gear do you have?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
@Clydo

Hey Clyde! How are you!

Measure the extra room at the bottom, between the tack of the sail and the furler. Make a pendant that's one inch shorter than the extra space. Drop the sail and install the Pendant at the head of the sail. Hoist the headsail back up and furl it.

With the pendant at the head, the upper swivel will be high enough to preclude halyard wraps

Regards,
Judy
Retired Sailmaker.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
@Clydo

Hey Clyde! How are you!

Measure the extra room at the bottom, between the tack of the sail and the furler. Make a pendant that's one inch shorter than the extra space. Drop the sail and install the Pendant at the head of the sail. Hoist the headsail back up and furl it.

With the pendant at the head, the upper swivel will be high enough to preclude halyard wraps

Regards,
Judy
Retired Sailmaker.
Is there any difference in performance of the sail between high as possible and lower Judy ?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Stu's comment is the common way that will allow you to set the furling drum at any level you desire. It's a very simple fix..... Purchase the restrainer, go up the mast, secure the swivel before un hooking the halyard... insert the line inside the restrainer and fix it to the mast.... there will most likely be instructions with the restrainer... then re shackle the halyard and you're good to go... now you can set the drum at any level you choose... changing the drum height will require a new set of tangs. Or you can use the pendant method as Judy mentioned. Note..... not applicable if you have one of the CDI furler models that have the halyard encapsulated in the rotating foil device

Schaeffer on the left............. Harken on the right.
Typical installation below.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I'm kind of confused, is the tack not connected to the fuller or is there a pendant line from the tack to the fuller? Is this a new sail? Pics might be helpful.
Tack connected to furler with block and tackle so can tighten luff. Will send pictures when get sail back to
sailmaker.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
One should have nothing to do with the other.
Do you have a halyard restrainer on the top of your mast?
What furling gear do you have?
Had boat trucked up from Southern California. Yard stepped mast including factory furler. At dock unrolled jenny to check. When tried
to roll up got part way and stuck. Factory rep came up and looked at it said angle of halyard caused wrap with furler. He talked about
halyard restrainer but said just raise jenny enough to avoid wrap which I did. Since appeared everything ok
never did go to expense etc to install restrainer.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Is there any difference in performance of the sail between high as possible and lower Judy ?
Hi Judy

Good to hear from you. You now have a trimaran? My dockmate has a hugh trimaran which he sailed from
Hawaii to Alaska and now down here. His fifth one. My question would also have to do with
performance between "high" and "low". Probably couple hundred pages to explain but short
"how to for Dummies" would help.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 214
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Hi Clyde,
If it’s a low cut clew, The jib will have more power when set nearer to the deck. That’s due to the end plate effect with the foot of the sail near the deck. If it has a high clew, there won’t be much difference in power between the high and low position.

If you lower the sail the Lower center of effort means less heeling. That’s a significant advantage to lowering it.

I can’t think of any advantage to the raised position other than increased visibility. The disadvantage is that the boat will heel more easily.

Its standsrd operating procedure to attach a pendant at the head of the Sail if it’s not full hoist. Putting a pendant at the keeps the swivel up as high as before, so I don’t expect you to get halyard wrap because the halyard is at the same angle.

When you lower the jib, you’ll need to move the jib sheet blocks a few inches forward compared to where you had them before since the clew is lower.

Judy B

Last edited: