Tachometer

Jul 6, 2010
Catalina 30 Bainbridge Island, WA
For some reason my tachometer RPM needle is not functioning properly. It tends to jump around, or not work at all. The hours meter works fine. I just installed a new alternator but the problem still exists.
Thank you in advance.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Could be a poor / dirty connection on the tach or the back of the alternator. I’ve had the same problem and solved it by cleaning connections. Worse case is you need a new tach but I think cleaning will fix things for you.

• Helpful
Jul 6, 2010
Michael,
Thanks for the tip. I'll tackle that next and see if it works.
Tom

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Worked for me Tom. My brand new tach is still in the box. Should have cleaned those contacts before I bought it.

Jul 6, 2010
No luck yesterday Michael. I cleaned the contacts as you suggested, but now I wonder if I have the tach lead on the wrong pole.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You are smarter than I. Mine was jumping around and then quit. (Mine is driven off a flywheel magnetic sensor.) I cleaned up the contacts and checked the back of the tach. Nothing. I ordered a new tach (new old part). Nothing. I got a new sensor. Found out I have to remove some parts to get a wrench on it. Put everything back together. Now the tach works. Geesh.