Tachometer suddenly stops.......

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So this is the second time that this has happened. Traveling via motor and after say 4-5 hours tach all of a sudden stops working. Engine runs fine... all electronics working perfectly. The all of a sudden I look and its back working again. This is new to this season......Short trips this never happens.

bit of data:
-Balmar 150 alt with mc614 external regulator
-tach works off alt.
-400 watts solar with MPPT 40 amp change controller (New this season)
-Yanmar 4jh4e

Thanks

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
When the batteries are fully charged, the internal regulator disconnects from battery, this also stops the pulses needed to the tach. After the battery voltage drops, the regulator reconnects to the battery and pulses to the tach are restored. It is an impractical feature, but that is how it works.
Haro.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Full batteries is what I have been told before including Rod, but why now this year only...... could it be the solar controller doing something different? Why when I leave my slip after being plugged in and batteries full does it work for 5 - 6 hours before this happens..... And never happens on short trips from my slip??

Thanks All!
Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg. Not sure how you have the wiring. Here is what Balmar says about wiring the Tach.

Install WHITE Stator-In And Tach-Out Wires
When an electric tachometer is used, the alternator’s stator output will provide the electrical pulse needed to drive the
tachometer. The MC-614 has been designed to provide regulated tach output when the WHITE stator wire is connected to the regulator’s Stator In (#12) terminal and the out feed wire to the electric tachometer is connected to the Tach Out t1e6rminal (#13) terminal. *Not required for magnetic pick-up Tachs.
Stator output can also be used to detect alternator failure. See Page 10 for details.
When the tachometer is connected via the MC-614, the regulator will ensure that the tachometer will not discontinue supplying field current when the batteries are fully charged. When connecting the tachometer to the alternator stator output, it will be necessary to determine the number of poles in the alternator in order to properly adjust
your tachometer. Most Balmar alternators feature 12-pole rotors and stators, though, in
some cases, the pole count may be 14. See alternator manual for specifics. See your
tachometer manual for adjustment instructions.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Assuming you have in-line switches to to the solar panels, turn off the panels when that happens, and your tach will likely come back to life. When mine hit absorption, the tach will usually go haywire until I switch them off. This is on a stock alternator, FWIW.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Full batteries is what I have been told before including Rod, but why now this year only...... could it be the solar controller doing something different? Why when I leave my slip after being plugged in and batteries full does it work for 5 - 6 hours before this happens..... And never happens on short trips from my slip??

Thanks All!
Greg
Greg, what do you turn on when you enter the boat, before & after you unplug? Run for hours and the alternator will eventually fill up a bank with a very low load.

You can "test" our theory by turn on a larger load, like a fridge if you have one, and see what happens. All your running lights ougtha do it, but LEDs won't. See, we're so good saving energy we turn off our tachs!

I would also suggest you re-read the Balmar reg manual about charging, because I have, dozens of times. What it tells me is the regardless of how long you set the "stages" it keeps checking before it will switch. I've had this discussion with Maine Sail, and we may not have agreed because he says even if I'm right, why not just change it. I was not convinced. But he's recovering from a health issue and we all wish him all the best, this is peanuts compared to his good health.

Try it again before you change the times. Pretend you're an electron! :yikes::):beer:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Wires are all connected as per main sail
And balmar. When I first got new alt the alt would switch out of bulk before it was time so did exactly what rod told me in terms of adjusting time. On boat refrig / freezer stay on all the time. When leaving slip only additional is instruments and vhf.
Also like I said I have had the alt for 4 seasons and never had the issue until this season and the only change was solar. Maybe next time I will turn panels off when running engine and see if it happens again.

thanks all!
Greg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Catalina 400 PORT JEFERSON, NY
Greg
What you describe is exactly what I have experienced. I have a Balmar with the smart regulator and 540 watts of solar. My batteries are always have maximum charge and when the regulator shuts down the alternator, I turn on my inverter and it immediately puts a load on the battery bank and it starts to charge again. Letting it shut down does not hurt the alternator and probably helps as it is taking a load off of the alternator.

I hope my confirmation helps.
Alan

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Guess thats what I get from having so much excellent charging capacity...... Maybe before with only the alt, the frig and instruments were enough to keep enough load on the batteries but with the added solar there is too much of a good thing.

I will try the inverter and maybe make some ice!

Thanks!
Greg