Tachometer Fluctuation

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
2000 Hunter 340 …..On my Yanmar 3GM30F, the tachometer has started to fluctuate. This has happened twice before, years apart in events.
It is more annoying to watch than it is critical.
It’s not a digital reading, it’s the original analog tachometer with hour meter.
What happens is the reading just isn’t right.
Normally I idle at 900 RPM and cruise at 2500 - 3000 RPM.
Today my 900 RPM reading was 1500 and my cruise reading was 4000 RPM. (I was pegged out!)
The engine is running the same and is quite easy to run by sound rather than actual RPM readings.
I did what I have done in the past when this happened. I took the 2 connectors off the sensor on the transmission, cleaned them with a quick wipe of emery cloth and put them back. Now all is good again.
In fact the connectors looked bright and clean when I removed them, fit tight and snug. I checked the same at the tachometer and they were clean as well.
Is anyone else having this experience with their tachometer?
Are you applying any spray sealer on the connected fittings?

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yep, I've got a randomly reading tachometer on my Yanmar 3JH2e. There is probably corrosion inside the wire that increases the resistance in the wires. One of these days I plan to replace the wires from the sensor to the tach. Another Yanmar harness failure.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Big job to say the least. I want to avoid that if at all possible. That‘s akin to the intermittent starter button connector issue. Which, on my boat, sits right next to the tachometer sensor. Both being in very tight quarters and very limited wire access.
If that’s my only recourse I guess I’ll have to do it as well. But not going to be happy.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I spray the contacts with Deoxit D5. It has given me excellent results but I have no idea if it is the best.

Be warned, it is very penetrating and loves to get into LCD's and ruin stuff like clocks, scales etc so use with care.