T.V. reception

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
o.k. still don't get the toggle switch once they are hooked up together if one is not in use then strength would not matter
Yes, but if you were to just split the antenna to the TV and VHF radio, Pressing transmit on your Radio would blast the TV tuner with high levels of VHF signal and could damage it.

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
ya if it were turned on no reason to have both on at same time. Heck nobody will be watching t.v. undersail

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I would beg to differ that the frequency of TV and Marine VHF are "similar" This is true only if you mean that 80 meters is similar to 30 meters. Perhaps if they where harmonically related (80-40-20 or 30-60-90) but your tv reception from a marine VHF antenna is going to be pretty weak at best. Add to that that digital transmissions are spread spectrum (VERY wide bandwidth sharing the regular TV channel spectrum) and you will be well served to have a dedicated TV antenna
OR
convince your first mate that sailing is fun and tv is boring........ oops can't get there from here (YET) ;-)

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Are there any intereference issues that arise from mounting both marine VHF and TV antennas atop the mast. Minimum separation, etc?

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
That is what I thought gonna give the hd antenna that they show on t.v. let ya know results. By the way Bill first mate will be doing better things than watching t.v. when we are UNDERWAY!!!!!

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I have one of the RCA 800 flat panel types as seen here...
Interestingly, in their installation guide, they state, "NOTES: Do not install the ANT800 on any metal surface, including aluminum siding. Mounting on a metal surface will seriously degrade reception quality."

That would be suspect for a sailboat with an aluminum mast... But, then the go on to provide U-bolts and clamps to attach it to a pole mast...

Some things just make you want to say "Hmmm..."