Synthetic standing rigging for a mac 25

Nov 19, 2018
macgregor m25 puerto vallarta
I ran into him yesterday, and he says he does not have any experience with anything other than SS cable. Sorry.
Hey thank you for your effort, I am waiting for two replies back from the tec department of two of the synthetic line manufacturers regarding which of their products are suitable for standing rigging because their advertising is not clear. I'll post my findings & progress on this forum because it seems others are interested in learning more about this modification.

Nov 19, 2018
Good morning, no this wasn't my post but thank you for posting this because it has some product information that could be useful in my search for proper material for synthetic standing rigging.

Aug 15, 2012
MACGREGOR 26D Wheatly ON Canada
So you have experience with SS rigging. You even have the tools. I faced the same decision with my Mac 26D. Even bought 3mm dynema. Looked up techniques ( all for much much bigger yachts) and would have had to adapt a fair bit. Ultimately I came to my senses and gave up on the idea. There’s no real weight savings that a cruise like me would realize. I don’t race anymore so there’s no competition to scare with a new supposed go fast. Bought nice SS cable, thumbs and nickel coated copper swages and used my hydrologic crimper. Never regretted the decision.

Aug 15, 2012
MACGREGOR 26D Wheatly ON Canada
BTW. Buy turnbuckles and replace the verniers. You won’t regret that either. If your sailing fresh water don’t bother with 318 stainless anything. 304 is very acceptable ( don’t buy the up sell that 318 has to be used, we sailors are the food on the table of the chandler). 304 parts from any source will work fine. The honesty don’t make these kinds is parts just for sailboats. FYI I was a certified rigging safety instructor. If you’re a salty and plan to sail around the world (in your veteran craft ) or money is no object use 318.

Nov 19, 2018
Definitely food for thought & some logical points, thanks for the reply !!

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
So you have experience with SS rigging. You even have the tools. I faced the same decision with my Mac 26D. Even bought 3mm dynema. Looked up techniques ( all for much much bigger yachts) and would have had to adapt a fair bit. Ultimately I came to my senses and gave up on the idea. There’s no real weight savings that a cruise like me would realize. I don’t race anymore so there’s no competition to scare with a new supposed go fast. Bought nice SS cable, thumbs and nickel coated copper swages and used my hydrologic crimper. Never regretted the decision.
I am thinking the same as you, except...

The OP mentioned the difficulty in dealing with cable vs. what he thinks may be an easier with synthetic rope (less tangling, I seem to remember). Would it really make the process of stepping the mast that much less difficult, I wonder.