Swivel on anchor chain - I'm a late convert

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I've owned boats since 1980 and have never used swivels. I've bought boats that came with them and removed them.
In late July my chain jammed in the gypsy. I had to take the windless apart (partially) to free it. Then I had another incident last week, when a link came up kinked sideways and would have jammed. Luckily I spotted it before it reached the gypsy. The culprit was chain twist.
So I ordered a Mantus swivel. This is a very well designed item that eliminates the weakness issue many swivels have (e.g. Kong) when being pulled from the side of the anchor, and the shank acts like a crow bar. (The Mantus uses the rounded "C" side of a D shackle to attach to the anchor shank so side pulls don‘t affect strength).

Last edited:

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I never cared for or used a swivel on our anchor chain but after looking at the design of the Mantus swivel I purchased one and installed it. My spouse loves it cause it rotated the anchor down for the reciever (the reason we got it). Plus it can be taken apart and inspected annually. A big plus! Well worth it!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I don't have swivel and don't intend to get one. They are a weak spot in the anchoring system, especially the SS ones. The trick is to not let the chain twist after it comes over the roller. Any twist in the chain before it comes over the roller will work its way out once the anchor is off the bottom.

An anchor roller has a groove in the middle to help keep the chain properly oriented, they look like trailer rollers, but they are not. If your chain has a twist dump it all out on the bottom and bring it back up with out inducing more twist and bring it back onboard.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I installed a Mantus swivel in 2018 when I upgraded to a Mantus anchor- absolutely no regrets or problems with either.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Another vote for the Mantus swivel. Beautiful engineering that eliminates the short comings of the others.

Jun 14, 2010
dump it all out on the bottom and bring it back up
I thought of that. But with 60 feet of chain and a 45# anchor that won’t spin if there’s any movement through the water.... adding a swivel for a boat buck seems like an easy and long lasting solution.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Larry, do you anchor with partial rope rode? If so, twist is a real problem. A grooved roller does help, but if the rode gets significant twist, the chain will defeat the groove. We also have experienced a jammed windlass that required a hammer and breaker bar to solve. On our previous boat we used a WASI swivel, which is a robust piece of gear. Last year we were in Turkey and noticed that Ultra swivels there are 1/4 of the price they sell for in the US so we grabbed one (they are made in Turkey, and their Ultra anchors are also cheaper there). This swivel is the same design as the WASI, only it has a nub on it that ensures the anchor always comes to the roller right way up. The Mantus is too big for our roller setup.

I was surprised when you said it cost a boat buck, so I looked and now realize your currency is different than mine... :)

Mark

Jun 14, 2010
Larry, do you anchor with partial rope rode? If so, twist is a real problem. A grooved roller does help, but if the rode gets significant twist, the chain will defeat the groove. We also have experienced a jammed windlass that required a hammer and breaker bar to solve. On our previous boat we used a WASI swivel, which is a robust piece of gear. Last year we were in Turkey and noticed that Ultra swivels there are 1/4 of the price they sell for in the US so we grabbed one (they are made in Turkey, and their Ultra anchors are also cheaper there). This swivel is the same design as the WASI, only it has a nub on it that ensures the anchor always comes to the roller right way up. The Mantus is too big for our roller setup.

I was surprised when you said it cost a boat buck, so I looked and now realize your currency is different than mine... :)

Mark
Yes, partial rope rode. And I too have a restricted shank entry behind the roller. I'm hoping it allows the swivel to pass through. As for boat bucks, I meant a hundred. (But the way things are trending I'm beginning to think $1k is the new boat buck.) ;)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For those considering a Mantus swivel:

and this:

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 boat came with a hot dipped galvanized anchor rode swivel that suits us quite nicely. We have never experienced any kind of problem with twisting or jamming with this swivel after anchoring hundreds of times over the years.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now that all have vented, and apologies shared...
Okay, guys- put a sock in it.
let us return to our normal areas of conflict.... Anchors and Swivels.

I bought a Mantus swivel with the Mantus anchor from the guys at the Seattle Boat show. Not enough usage to have any idea if it is the best or the worst. I can tell you that upon retrieving the chain it followed the expectations pattern of wrapping around the gypsy and falling into the Anchor locker. No conflicts and when the anchor emerged it was not twisted, running smoothly up and over the bow roller. Very encouraging to doing more anchoring in the bays and inlets of the Puget Sound.