Switch rack

Oct 21, 2012
Macgregor 22 Lake Texoma Tx
I am about to redo my switch rack can I get some pic of yours to get some ideas on switch lay outs ?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
By "switch rack" do you mean electrical distribution panel? There are lots of "extras" that you might want to include but the standard set of circuit breakers pretty much has to be installed in a row and right next to each other.
Other things you might want to include:
amps gauge either the panel amps or remote reading type to see all the loads. Note that some loads and all sources do not go through the panel so a remote reading unit can show the batteries charging where a panel amps meter will not.
volts gauge with selector switch so you can see the house or start batteries even if they are isolated
clock
12 volt outlet (cigarette)
Labels for the boat bridge clearance, draft length and width
AC amps and volts
a nav station light, fixed or removable depending on where the panel actually is in relation to the nav station desk

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

Ross - beautiful electrical panel....

this is thee electrical panel I built for my last boat ... a Mac25

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Those work! I always wondered why the manufacturers installed the electrical panels low in the cabin.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Those work! I always wondered why the manufacturers installed the electrical panels low in the cabin.
Most manufacturers mount them higher. They should not be mounted low.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Maybe the builders have learned. In my Islander the original fuse panel was about 6 inches above the cabin sole.

Sep 28, 2008
I don't like to put any wire below seat level unless its a bilge pump or another item installed lower than that. My panels were originally just above counter height but are now a bit higher after moving them.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I have seen many electrical panels mounted into the cabinets under the counter down next to the floor.... I always thought this was a bad place to put it.... a little water in the cabin and all your electrical is gone....

my morgan 35' has 2 fuse/switch panels in it.. one up high, and the other down low next to the engine room door under the stairs.... that low panel I plan to move up higher when I can...

my kittiwake 23 didn't come with a switch or fuse panel... I built one for it and just go it installed... I will take pictures of it next time I am in the boat...

sincerely
Jess

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Understand the last two posts.

Only question: aren't most folk's batteries down low?

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

my batteries in my Morgan 35 are placed on a shelf in the engine compartment about even with the top of the engine.... I have a single battery on the port side for the starter, and 4 batteries on the starboard side close to the electrical panel for the house batteries bank....

in my Kittiwake 23, the 2 batteries bank is placed under the cockpit between the 2 half berths on a shelf and secured with a strap.... then the power cables are ran under the cockpit up to the electrical panel...

sincerely
Jess

Sep 28, 2008
Understand the last two posts.

Only question: aren't most folk's batteries down low?
Batteries in a box or boxes that are watertight to the top opening can take a splash or 6" of standing water without a problem. An electrical panel shouldn't be vulnerable to splashes however small. That is why when I upgraded my panel I moved it from under the companionway opening where wet can drip when coming and going to a drier place at the side above the chart table.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I always painted the battery terminals with liquid electrical tape and protected the tops with plastic shields. They were mounted below the water line but out of harms way unless we were sinking.
\

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if one is going to build there own electrical panel just remember that if you are putting the high voltage (120 vac) breakers in the same cabinet as the low voltage (12 or 24 vdc) you really need to isolate the two with and inside enclosure over the high voltage or the other way around personally i would enclose the high side due to the fact that you will be working on low voltage more often than the high from time to time

Sep 28, 2008
if one is going to build there own electrical panel just remember that if you are putting the high voltage (120 vac) breakers in the same cabinet as the low voltage (12 or 24 vdc) you really need to isolate the two with and inside enclosure over the high voltage or the other way around personally i would enclose the high side due to the fact that you will be working on low voltage more often than the high from time to time
It is an ABYC requirement as well.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This I NEVER understood. Along with putting them where they can get wet, how about a place we can KICK them as well????