Switch and fuse panel

chilly

Feb 19, 2021
Catalina 25 Santa Barbara
I've got a 1980 Catalina 25. A few wires on the back of the switch/panel have broken and I'm thinking of replacing the whole panel instead of buying a few switches and soldering etc.

Any product recommendations ? The current panel has a master switch and I don't see that on other newer products (don't want a Catalina direct replacement for this). Would like to install, for instance, a THALASSA 4/6/8 Gang Pre Wired Rocker Switch Panel - Waterproof On/Off Toggle Rocker. I'm fairly competent with electrical stuff and smart enough if I don't do this after 5pm...help would be good. Thanks, Stan

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  • Chinese manufacturer.
    Cheap price.
  • May not meet ABYC standards.
    Upon survey may not be acceptable to insurance company underwriting.
  • May make resale a problem.

These are considerations for some owners, other owners do not care.

It is your boat and you get to decide.
Ain’t this country great, or what!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Blue Seas stuff is the top notch marine electric gear.
I also like paneltronics stuff - it's what I used when I rewired my C-30. (the breakers are interchangeable with Blue Seas)

I generally like breakers over fuses, unless you need waterproof.

I've had great success on center console fishing boats using Blue Seas' WeatherDeck series. Not one has failed, and these things get very wet. Down below in a 25' sailboat I don't think waterproof would be as important.

I would definitely want a master switch. Something like:
battery_51QI8zdpaXL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I remade the panel that houses the radios/stereo/AC breakers in my 387. Black Formica over plywood. Interestingly it's exactly what Catalina used in the first place. Lousy pic:

IMG_20210924_172011.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
BlueSeas products do have a great rep quality products. Proper designs. They also come with a price and they have had some out of stock issues associated with a warehouse fire in 2018.

I like their product. They are designed to be compliant with ABYC and CG requirements.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Another vote for Blue Sea products. I used three of their panels on my C30. Panels come pre wired. Connections are not soldered.
IMG_3549.jpeg