Swinging off the mast

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Anyone seen someone swing from the mast? I turned a 25 Catalina jib halyard into a swing. I was told the boat shook in unnatural way when I departed the line. The halyard also spun around the mast when I let go.
The swing itself was kind of vine like swinging. I swung out around the object I was attached to.

I weigh 125 and jumped off the sliding hatch toward the front of the boat.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Video or it didn't happen. :worthless:
Moonlite sail, 3 am in the morning. I also failed to perform a backflip cause I didnt feel like bunching up quickly. I did corkscrews in but fell like a rollerskatet each time as I hit the water. Ill get some paint and boat pictures with some arrows.

Can you imagine some pumping action on a swing into a backflip?? Trapeze work I guess is what I am imaging.

Im here to learn how its done, it seems I do not know.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I can't imagine it on such a small boat, but it's pretty common on 40 footers and above, especially when you've got bored kids aboard.
Spinnaker flying was all the rage down here on the charter boats back in the late '70s and early '80s. I would not recommend it on a small boat.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
The halyard also spun around the mast when I let go(1st picture).

I pulled the jib halyard outside around the side stays( bird eye view- 2nd picture).

The last picture is ideal swing mount and possible crows nest to jump from.
I guess heavier cable and more support on chain plates? I feel like this backwards towards a good sail setup.

Attachments

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
I can't imagine it on such a small boat, but it's pretty common on 40 footers and above, especially when you've got bored kids aboard.
Spinnaker flying was all the rage down here on the charter boats back in the late '70s and early '80s. I would not recommend it on a small boat.
Spinnaker flying ! I will look into it. Thank you

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
OH MY!!!! this is gonna be great

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I used to attach a bosun chair to the halyard and swing my kids when they were smaller. Big fun!

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 19 Windycrest
Anyone seen someone swing from the mast? I turned a 25 Catalina jib halyard into a swing. I was told the boat shook in unnatural way when I departed the line. The halyard also spun around the mast when I let go.
The swing itself was kind of vine like swinging. I swung out around the object I was attached to.

I weigh 125 and jumped off the sliding hatch toward the front of the boat.
I seen YOU do it! very impressive