swing keelI have a

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brendan Gilbane

Having replaced my swing keel bolts, cable, and winch; I need to know how often this needs to be done? My boat, 'KILONA', is now in salt water year round. Any swing keel info would be very helpful.

C

Carroll H. Austin

Reply to Brendan Gilbane:

Dear Brendan----- Re. your problem with the swing keel pin, wire etc., I now have a '84 Cat. (w/fixed keel) but previously owned a '73 O'Day with a swing keel in which I had to replace the pin and wire l994. As I was not the original owner, I don't know if was replaced prior to my ownership. Also this boat was not in the water the year around. Not much specific to offer, but this has been the extent of my experience with swing keels. Good luck with your new arrangement. C.H. Austin, owner of "Emerald"..

A

Alex C

Not too bad

i have replaced my swing keel cable twice in 5 years. the key is to lower the keel to sail and raise it when you reach port. So long as the keel doesn't gett too heavy with barnacles, etc... it will last for awhile. But if you leave it down - at least in my waters - you'll be purchasing a new cable. Also, to install, I was able to have someone with an air tank go over the side and connect the cable. It was not necessary to go through the expense and time of taking the boat out of the water. Good Luck ACND1@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.