Swing Keel Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl Steele

Need information on the operation and maintenance of the swing keel (centerboard) Have only had small boats with "dagger" boards. This appears to be some sort of lever action. Any help would be appreciated.

J

Justin Andrus

Is it a Rhodes?

Carl, Is your boat an O'day 19, or a Rhodes 19? The centerboard configurations were different. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

C

Carl Steele

Swing Keel

In responce to Justin: The boat has an O'Day emblem on the hull. Thanks for your responce and inquiring Carl

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Centerboard info

Carl, To my knowledge, there were four 19 foot O'days. The Rhodes 19, Mariner, and eventually the 1980's 19 and 192. The rhodes and the mariner are based on the same hull. The 19 and 192 are similar. Any of them would have an O'day symbol on them. From your indication that the boat has a lever controlling the centerboard I am going to guess that you have either a Rhodes 19, or a Mariner. I think that the 19's and 192's all had winch controled cabled centerboards. Here a few more questions that will help my nail it down: Do you know the year the boat was manufactured? This would help a lot. Does the boat have a finished cabin? Whats it like? The Rhodes had a cuddy, but no berths, head, etc. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

C

Carl Steele

Reply to Justin on swing keel

Justin: Thank you for your reply. It appears that the boat is a Rhodes. As to the year built, this is questionable.I have been told that it was built in 1960, but others have said maybe some time in the late 70's. Could not find any information on the hull. The boat has a cuddy cabin with shelves on both sides. There is also a very small storage area in the bow. The cockpit seats apper to be hollow, leading me to believe that these are for flotation. (there appears to be an enclosed space in the bow which also may be for flotation) An opening through the transom indicates that the cockpit is self bailing. As to the swing keel| there is a long lever with a smaller one on the bow side. It reminds me of the old fashion bumper jacks, where you selected to either lever up or lever down. If this is the case how does it operate? and what maintenance is required? Carl

J

Rhodes centerboard operation

Carl, It does indeed sound like a Rhodes. Congrats! They are wicked boats. I was actually shopping for a Rhodes when I accidentally bought my Catalina 25! (Its a long story involving the need for enclosed head). There is an active one design racing scene in several parts of the country, including Maryland and Del. At the point in O'day's building philosophy, the centerboard mechanism were very straight forward. The longer lever (bronze, probably?) has a square post that goes in to the CB trunk. The CB has a hole bored into with a square bronze insert that fits the lever. When you move the lever, you move the board, simple as that. The little lever locks the board in the up position for hauling, beaching etc. There are two things to deal with with these boards. 1. The mechanism can leak. There is a neoprene gasket between the flange on the lever and the trunk. It gets old and doesn't seal well. Buy a new one from Stuart Marine in Rockland, ME., or cut a new one from a mouse pad you don't like anymore. The trickle of water into the boat is no big deal but can get annoying. 2. The square insert in the board can get rounded out. If this happens the board can slop a litter fore and aft, and will not retract all the way into the boat to put it on the trailer. If so: a. buy a new one from Stuart Marine. (I eventually did this with my daysailer [from Cape Cod Shipbuilders, the current Daysailer builder]) b. cut the board apart on jury rig (I did this on my daysailer with moderate sucess) c. live with the slop and pass a line under the hull to hold the board up when you want to get onto the trailer. (I did this for a good long time until a broke the board with a judicious combination of tidal flow, rock, dock, lobsterboat, harbormaster's launch, and sun induced stupidity.) Justin - O'day Owner's Web

F

Frank Prosser

Centerboard Gasket Recommendation

I found that a smear of vasoline around the gasket will go a long way toward keeping water from seaping through. Also, you want to make sure that water is not inflitrating the glass where the centerboard lever post goes through the centerboard trunk. It might be worth disassembling the mechanism and doing some epoxy work as premptive maintenance. Frank

J

Preventative Maintenance is a good idea but...

...make sure that you support the board before you pull the lever. There is no other pivot mechanism in there. Also, make sure there is enough room for someone to handle to board from below to help you line up the lever. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.