Swing keel operation video?

Slavik

Aug 20, 2022
MacGregor Venture 222 Lake Pleasant
Hello,

I just got a 1976 MacGregor Venture 222 previously owned by Bud. I can't find a good instructional video on how to operate a swing keel. Specifically how to and when to remove the lock down bolt. Any ideas?

Thx

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't have a video but here are some pics of a V222 I restored... These are both before restoration pics... sorry I don't have an after pic.

The operation is rather straight forward. To raise the keel, you put the ratchet mechanism in place on the keel winch (red arrow) and crank until the keel is all the way up. Then lock it so that it won't accidently drop. In my opinion the keel is rather dangerous in the up position. If someone accidently trips the lock mechanism then the handle spins like crazy as the 600# keel drops. You could easily break a finger or worse if you were close when it happened. I don't have a pic of this but I installed a small cleat on the bulkhead with a loop of nylon line that I would slip over the handle once it was all the way up. Sort of a failsafe mechanism. That way if the lock mechanism got tripped, the handle would only move a few inches before the line stopped it.
1661344338290.png
keel winch before-2.jpg

The lock down pin should only be in place while sailing and even then its use is controversial. The lockdown pin is another "failsafe" device. The point of the lockdown pin is to keep the keel from slamming back up into the keel trunk in the event that a breaking wave rolls your boat. The fear is that the full force of the keel slamming into the trunk will bust through the trunk and sink your boat. The truth is that the only way for a sailboat to get rolled over is if a breaking wave hits your boat broadside. You can get knocked on your side by a gust of wind but it will right. If you are in a lake, a breaking wave is very unlikely. The reason the lockdown pin is controversial is that if you are sailing hard with the keel locked down and you kiss the bottom, then you come to an abrupt stop and the stress on the lockdown pin does damage to your keel trunk and you start to take on water. To split the difference in these two extreme views, some sailors use a nylon bolt that will shear if you kiss the bottom. Toilet bowl bolts have been used for this puprose. The way I sail my boat... If I go off shore, I would lock down the keel. Otherwise I would not.

Leaving the keel in an unlocked state has other advantages. When on a run (wind behind you) you can partially raise the keel and pick up a few tenths of a knot of speed. Also you can use the keel to adjust the pressure on the helm. Force on the sails will tend to make the boat want to round up because the center of effort is slightly behind the center of lateral resistance. If you find yourself in a situation where you are having to keep the keel pulled to windward to go straight...a few turns on the keel winch may lessen that pressure by moving the center of lateral resistance aft. Of course, if you have to do this to an extreme, then your sails are either blown or poorly trimmed.