Swing keel issues

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
sealant remover

Thanks for the 3M 5200 sealant remover idea. that should work and I will look up the procedure on the precision site.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
What sheaves below the pivot pin?? There aren't any sheaves there, at least not in the stock setup and I really can't see any purpose for sheaves there. The pivot pin is held in by 2 fiberglass wedges that are in turn held in by a pair of stainless-steel plates held on by 3 screws each. There may be silicone sealant on those screws and under the plates, bu silicone sealant should be easy to pry apart. DO NOT USE 3M 5200 or ANY OTHER Polyurethane sealant for anything htat you might want to remove someday!! It is almost permanant and will most likey damage the fiberglass as yo utry to remove the plates, the seacret to avoid that damage if a previous owner used 5200 is one of the un-bonding chemicals sold for this purpose.

3M 5200 is often used by boat builders to bond the hull and deck together, it is that strong.

May 5, 2014
Oday Daysailer II Eugene, OR
Please keep us posted on how this goes. We never found a boat we liked or could afford within driving distance, so I put the CB back in the Day Sailer, and am patching it up for another season. But we still are interested in keel/centerboard cruiser like the O'Day 23, so I'd like to know how your repair turns out.

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
Are you sure it's silicone? The Precision keel/centerboard boats use 3M 5200 polyurethane adhesive to attach their CB pivot assemblies inside the trunk. Precision has a procedure on its web site for using solvent to loosen the adhesive if the assembly has to be replaced. West Marine sells solvents for both materials. Googling "3M 5200 solvent" turned up many discussion threads on various boating forums.
I got it out with a water based 5200 seal breaker

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
Thanks for everyones help. I ordered a 5200 seal breaker and used a heat gun large knife and a strong putty knife. It did not take long. Note that the centerboard is cracked in Half!

Attachments

May 5, 2014
Great. And thanks for the photos. My Day Sailer centerboard delaminated and had to be replaced. I was hoping the bigger O'Day's were made of sterner stuff.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
I have always had a strong suspicion that the majority of lead keeled O'Days that experience jammed centerboards may be from the north. I think the centerboards take on a little moisture and then expand in freezing temps. Once they thaw maybe they never exactly return to original width? And then are just prone to jam because of fitting tighter? Just a thought.

Jun 3, 2015
O´Day DSII 17 Corpus Christi
How did you remove the CB and how did you get the DaySailerII off the trailer to do so? I want to be able to check the down position of the CB to be sure it stays down while sailing, and it also does not go all the way up inside the CB trunk unless pushed up from below while someone locks the line on top. How can I check the the lines/cables? I jacked up the stern and placed it on two saw horses with padding. For the bow I plan to place it on a board with a roller in the middle, resting on two saw horses. Each saw horse hold over 400 lbs. each. This will allow me to remove the trailer (and work on it!) and be able to lower the CB a little more to the down position. I am using a 3 ton hydraulic jack since I have to do it myself. Thank you!

May 5, 2014
I have used several procedures over the years. One is a variation of what you did: Lower the trailer tongue to the ground, put a support under the transom, jack the tongue as high as it will go, support the bow, and lower the tongue. This leaves the trailer under the boat. Although you can remove the board and have enough space to paint or wax the hull, you can't check the fully-extended CB position.
Another approach requires a couple of strong trees or reinforced rafters in your garage. Rig a block and tackle at bow and stern and hoist the whole boat straight up. After I drag the trailer out, I put supports under the keel so the thing doesn't fall on me while I'm underneath.
If you have a large flat lawn, you can also drag the boat off the trailer onto the grass with the mast up. Then you pull the main halyard down to careen the boat on its side. I have also done this during the season in shallow water to clean the hull.
Check out the Daysailer.org forum. There are exhaustive discussions, procedures, diagrams, photos, etc. on everything to do with each of the many variations of this particular boat: O'Day Versions 1/2/3, Sunfish/Laser, Precision, Cape Cod, and more.

Jun 3, 2015
O´Day DSII 17 Corpus Christi
Thank you Talbotb. Very useful information. I like the way you careen the boat. I do have a tree I could also use...