Swing keel delrin rod stuffing box

Jul 3, 2022
Irwin 28 Pueblo, CO
Is the stuffing box on these normally sealed with packing or is there a compression nut type of thing in them? I opened it up and don't see any packing but she is a new to me boat that I have never seen in the water. Trying to reduce the chances of a leak when we do finally get her launched.

Attached are a couple of pictures of the stuffing box in various states of disassembly.

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The (nuts) should unscrew.
There should be some packing material inside one of the bigger nuts deep lnside the cavity.
Depending on the state of the material, you might be able to add another wrap of packing.
Many UTube videos available to learn more

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I agree with @ggrizzard, there should be packing material (usually about 3 rings) inside the large packing nut. A sharp pick of some sort (I used a thin nail with the end bent over a bit) should help get any material out. You should be able to feel “metal on metal” with your pick if all the packing is out.

The other thing I see in your photo (although I am not familiar with your boat) is that the hose that connects the stuffing box to the boat hull (stern tube) does not look like it is connected. Maybe you took it off, but just want to be sure I mention it. Those 2 hose clamps should be on the hose over the end of the bronze stuffing box.

This isn’t the best video, but it may give you some ideas…

Good luck.

Greg

Jul 3, 2022
Irwin 28 Pueblo, CO
thanks ggrizard and Greg. I will have to dig into the larger nut more and see what I can find in there.

Greg, yes, I disconnected the hose so I could get to the stuffing box, otherwise it is under the cabin sole.

Thanks again!

May 7, 2023
Irwin 28 Mk III Lake Norman Sailing Club
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum and I know that it is an old post. I have an Irwin 28 with a swing keel and the winch was missing when I acquired it. I think that it should be mounted forward of the throttle inside the starboard lazerette. Is this true? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Sep 7, 2023
Irwin 46 Ketch center cockpit Pass-a-Grille
I am also new to the forum. I acquired a 1982 Irwin Ketch 46 less then 2 weeks ago from friend's elderly parents. Every model I have seen on line has a swing Keel, center board, Dagger board. What every you want to call it the family has has the boat for 40 years sailed the east coast to Canada Bahamas Carribean and all over Florida. The tell me it does not have board that comes out from under the 4-foot keel. Did Irwin build any that way. During my maiden sail she was sliding a little off point.
The 96 year old is quite sure it doesn't have one. I'm not about to disagree with the gentleman.
Also I cannot find the holding tank or more importantly the valves to divert the flush into the tank.I have crawling and peaking for clues with no luck. I tried a few searches looking for a past thread came up blank

Sep 7, 2023
Yes, thank you. I saw that
Plus I saw several Irwin 46 Ketch for sale all with a Centerboard I had my head stuffed in everywhere in my boat with no sign of a centerboard. The boat would handle better if its there. Any suggestions where to look?

Sep 7, 2023
Where I would believe a centerboard sound be under the salon right down the center is a 5-6 inch wide empty space 5-6 feet long 2 feet deep, 2-3 inches of clean water at the bottom

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A boat built in 1982 for use in the ocean may not have a holding tank. At that time no discharge zones were just being considered after the 1978 Clean Water Act.

If you can dive the keel, you should be able to tell if it has a CB, the keel will be short and there will be a big slot in the middle of it. It is possible the CB was removed and the bottom of the CB slot was sealed. The minimum draft was about 4.6 feet which would be consistent with the specs on SailboatData.com.

Sep 7, 2023
Yep, that is my plan I have her on the hook there is clear water about 4 miles away, Strang someone would seal it up. There is a holding tank with y value to switch from hold take or direct overboard discharge she can not remember where, I sure I will find it while tracking down something . another strange set up three air conditioners with one water pump all three AC look like trash. I will be putting in three new ones with there own water pumps

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Boatingman222 to SBO. Sounds like you have a opportunity. I enjoy mature boats even if some of the experience is doing detective work..

1694219881074.png This is an image from a brochure on your 46ft Ketch. It says that Irwin made this boat in a couple of variants.
Here is the source site. Irwin Yachts - Center Cockpit Models
Your boat, I believe is the one to left of the Irwin 50 on the page.

1694220235473.png