Swing keel a bit loose - repair/replace/upgrade?

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
Hi All
I am about to purchase a 2016 Capri sport 22 with the swing keel. The surveyor tells me the keel is a bit loose. First, while I have read that this is not a rare issue with this boat, but I am a little surprised to know it is already an issue in a 5-6 year old boat. That aside, how much play in the keel should trigger repair? Also, what is the recommended repair and is there any kind of upgrade to make the hinge pin assembly any more robust than stock? How much should I pay for this repair?
Any advice or input on how I should approach this would be welcome!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Good luck with the Catalina 22 swing keel sailboat purchase!!

Since the swing keel is being extended and retracted during each sail..........daily and routine inspection, maintenance and possible part replacement is recommended as discussed in this article Routine Keel Lifting Hardware Maintenance (catalinadirect.com). It suggests inspecting the keel cable and turning ball yearly and replacing every two years, long before it fails. More on inspection and maintenance in this article Five Swing Keel Maintenance Blunders and How to Prevent Them – The $tingy Sailor (stingysailor.com)

Last edited:
May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
Thanks! My bet is that this boat was used by a sailing school and no routine maintenance was done - they just dump them onto the used market at 5 years when the warranty is up. So if it is due at 2 years, my bet is this boat is overdue!
Good tip.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Hi All
I am about to purchase a 2016 Capri sport 22 with the swing keel. The surveyor tells me the keel is a bit loose. First, while I have read that this is not a rare issue with this boat, but I am a little surprised to know it is already an issue in a 5-6 year old boat. That aside, how much play in the keel should trigger repair? Also, what is the recommended repair and is there any kind of upgrade to make the hinge pin assembly any more robust than stock? How much should I pay for this repair?
Any advice or input on how I should approach this would be welcome!
Just a bit of trivia (and a bit late for your request for information):
Catalina did not make a "Capri Sport".

The current Catalina models are:
• Catalina Capri 22 (fixed keel, wing and fin only)
• Catalina 22 Sport (swing keel only)

At one time Catalina did make fixed keel Catalina 22, but the Capri has always been a fixed keel (fin, wing, shoal).

Catalina Direct has the parts to rebuild the Catalina 22 swing keel.