Swim step lanyard

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The center section of my transom swings down to open the swim ladder. The steps are inside the part that lowers down. There are two lanyards that hold the steps at the proper angle, one has broken. The OEM lanyards are vinyl coated stainless steel stranded cables with swaged eyes on the ends. The eyes are bolted to the steps on one end and the transom on the other end. The picture here shows the broken cable.

I am considering replacing the lanyards with Spectra but I'm not sure how to terminate them so they can be bolted the same as the original. Are there metal eyes that I could splice (or tie) a spectra line to? I might be able to use a thin jam nut to hold the bolt out with room to tie the spectra on, but then the rope would be on the threaded part of the bolt and susceptible to chafe.

Is there any easy way to do this?
1000029923.jpg

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Should you fall overboard while alone at anchor, this would be your way back onboard… I would take advantage of this situation to make the lowering of the steps accessible from the water.
A picture of the transom & pushpit would help.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You could get a thimble and splice around that. That would at least avoid any chafe from the bolt, though it’s not as elegant as the original eyes.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your challenge is with the dyneema line. It does not like to make sharp bends.
C.S.Johnson makes a variety of end fittings for splicing on dyneema line.
Here is one example.
1716815672585.png

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm guessing the center section has to be lowered by hand to prevent large impact load on the lanyard, and dropping the section is part of what caused the failure. If you could release it from the water, there would be quite a slam. On the other hand, if rope with stretch was used, the platform would be mushy. If I'm correct, some redesign is required.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Why not just use stainless cable replacing the original?

dj

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Why not just use stainless cable replacing the original?

dj
SS cable is best for many things. But this one failed from corrosion and kinking, things Dyneema will better withstand. Maybe.

But holding a platform should be nothing, so there is an impact component. Amsteel will stretch more than steel cable. Just a fraction of an inch, but that could lower the impact force 50% without noticeable mush under body weight.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
How much use do you think it took the wire cable to fail? I would stick with the cable and perhaps figure out better attachment fittings so that the wire doesn't kink.
As mentioned above, Dyneema does not like tight bends (like the one shown????) and the boats using it for rigging use special, large, solid thimbles, which may not suitable for this use.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
SS cable is best for many things. But this one failed from corrosion and kinking, things Dyneema will better withstand. Maybe.
This was my thinking. Having said that, the original took 40 years to fail so maybe stainless is the way to go. It is the kinking that is a bit of a pain, it is hard to get it to fall in place when retrieving the steps and I wanted to tray Dyneema to see if it would be easier.

C.S.Johnson makes a variety of end fittings for splicing on dyneema line.
Thanks for the link John, I will check it out.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake

But holding a platform should be nothing, so there is an impact component. Amsteel will stretch more than steel cable. Just a fraction of an inch, but that could lower the impact force 50% without noticeable mush under body weight.
The line used was covered stainless cable, which we know is not the better composite construction to use. The covering promotes corrosion. The current set-up lasted 40 years. By going to uncoated stainless wire rope, you will lower the corrosion problem. I can't tell from the photo how much kinking played into the fracture, but iif it was a major component, then using a greater wire count wire rope would minimize that concern. But still, with the same wire type, is 40 years really an undesirable lifespan?

Dyneema would never last that long. While fairly resistant to UV degradation, it is not immune. What would be the life-span using dyneema? Realistically speaking? More likely 10 years at best. But I see no scenario where it would be close to 40 years. then you are adding in other failure modes not currently present.

Hey, using dyneema is fine. Just doesn't seem as great an option as going to uncoated stainless wire rope.

dj