Swim ladders and transoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
Hi all - been looking at archives RE: installing a swim ladder and I have come across a bunch of posts about thin transoms and beefing them up in order to support bigger engines/engine brackets (outboards). I want to install a transom mounted swim ladder but now am kind of scared to do so, wouldnt want to break my transom. How will I know if I need to 'beef it up'? And if so, what is the best -step by step- way to go about it? Thanks for any input.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
ladder instalation

I installed a transom ladder this winter on a 222. What i did is go through the locker in the cockpit. I did find that it was thin but I reinforced the area with plywood and 3m 5200. I dilled the holes for the brackets through the transom and the plywood. put in some long bolts with oversized washers and was rady to go. It was not very hard.

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
i installed one on my oday 20

i also removed the small bulkhead and pulled myself into the transom area to install a plywood backing. i backed used smaller pieces of plywood about 4-6 inches across. i wanted a single larger piece, but due to the curve of the transom it would not sit flat against the stern. i was afraid if i used one piece it would loosen up as the plywood warped to the shape of the transom and i didn't want to have to keep crawling back there to retighten the bolts. i used stainless steel bolts with flat washers and lock washers. i also had to make a couple of disk shaped wedges out of oak so that the ladder attachment plates would sit square on the transom. due to the transom curve it turned out to be alot more work than i expected, but then what doesn't? i think it came out pretty good, although i just put the boat in the water and haven't actually climbed up it yet. i included a link for the ladder i installed.

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
Pbud - more specifics, please?

so what sort of plywood did you use? did you ONLY use 3M 5200 to fasten it to the glass? i.e. did you 'glass it in' - whateever the heck that means...?! How do I know what size of plywood to use (thickness and width - I am afraid of the curve of the transom) Thanks!!!!!!!

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
scrap 3/8s exterior plywood

i may not have installed it according to hoyle, but i just used some scrap 3/8 exterior plywood i had in the garage. all you are trying to accomplish is to spread the stress over a wider area. i did not "glass" it in nor did i treat the plywood. it's was high on the transom so if the bolt holes are sealed from rain water it should remain dry and rot free for years. besides, there's only so much money and time i'm willing to put into a 33 yr old boat.

P

pbud

transom ladder

As stated above I also used som scrap plywoosd that I had. The pieces that iused were about 6x 6 and I did not glass them in. I did make sure that the fitting were well sealed so I would not have any leakage. The mouting is at the top of transon so I do not expect any issues. If you have a y more questions let me know.

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
Thanks Pbud and Lord Nelson

Thanks gents for the info - sounds pretty easy and straight forward. As far as your comment, Lord Nelson, about putting money into a 33 year old boat - AMEN! I have to remember that with my 30 year old girl!

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

Thanks gents for the info - sounds pretty easy and straight forward. As far as your comment, Lord Nelson, about putting money into a 33 year old boat - AMEN! I have to remember that with my 30 year old girl!

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY

Status
Not open for further replies.