Swim Ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Went stern-in today to give it a try and I'm liking the access to the boat, especially since my boy has a tendency to jump when going off the side. Only problem is the ladder blocks the walk-thru transom so I have it down for the night. Obviously it can't stay that way.

Has anyone replaced their ladder with one that is stored on the platform? Would like to try that because I don't want to not have a ladder.

dhays

Aug 2, 2010
Catalina C400 Gig Harbor, WA
I have the same issue in my boat (not a C310). I replaced the pins holding the ladder in place with SS Fastpins. When stern tied, I take off the ladder and set it on it's side between the lifeline stanchions and the bimini support. It can't go anywhere and is out of the way. Not sure if your configuration would allow you to do the same.

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
Paul J has done it. Nice mod, thinking of doing it myself. I presently do the same thing quick pins and hang it on the stern pulpit.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
That is exactly what I am looking for. I've located several types of telescoping ladders but can't seem to find the one you have pictured. What make/model is it? And what is the cover made of? Never thought of that but what a great idea, especially with those non-skid pads.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Thanks. I know what I will be doing over the winter. I'm going to look into that self-retracting ladder but I can't picture how well it would mount onto the boat without risking damage if it hits the dock. I'm sure I will have questions when I take on this project!

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Paul, I look at the old posts and this one. Do you have a photo fo the ladder fully deployed? Does the cover have to come off to use it or you slide it out with the teak handle? Have you always owned your boat since new - it always looks so perfect in the photos. (I am still trying to clean up PO poorly done repairs.)

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Long Story

This is a picture of my first Mediterranean docking at Roche Harbor.

No problem with clearance of the swim ladder cover...but really worried about if I fell in the water how would
I get out of the water.

They pull you in tight agaist the dock with fenders on the aft of your boat, tie you to the dock and the boat
next to you...they can really pack-in the boats.

To deploy the ladder you reach in under the cover about two inches and pull the ladder out.

The teak handle was for another project, but the handle, which is attach to the cover, is used to
hold the dinghy close to the boat while getting in or out of dinghy or kyack.

All the wood add-ons are made from marine plywood.

I will replace the plywood with Starboard after a year or so after working out the kinks in the design.

I will take a picture of the ladder deployed.

Purchased my boat in 2006.:confused:

Just found this http://forums.pda.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=85827

Bought in 2006 but the the semi-trailers were not allowed over the passes until the snow passes were cleared....long storm season that year.

While your fixing repairs done by your PO ....think about the person who you sell your boat too............:dance:

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Last edited:

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Paul, I look at the old posts and this one. Do you have a photo fo the ladder fully deployed? Does the cover have to come off to use it or you slide it out with the teak handle? Have you always owned your boat since new - it always looks so perfect in the photos. (I am still trying to clean up PO poorly done repairs.)

The ladder deployed......

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.