Swim ladder

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are folding ladders, like this one from Defender that might be a better option. The mount on the deck and then fold down into the water. Shop around for folding boarding ladders. There are probably other sources.

Try the SBO store. They might have some too. Good to dance with the one that brought ya.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Some version of this:
Your boat has low transom height so in this version I think you'd have two steps in the water which I consider minimum. I found on my runabout that I needed a handle to grab to pull myself up.
As far as I'm concerned forget about the folding type that hooks on the side of the boat. The boat will list as you climb up which makes a tough up hill climb.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I don’t understand why a ladder would be necessary to climb into a 15 foot boat with such low freeboard, but perhaps one of the dinghy ladders advertised for inflatables would serve the purpose.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The over the gunwhale type may be your best option though it could be difficult to fit... although I believe the "stand off" legs may be adjustable. You can also try making one or two loops out of vinyl webbing with weights attached to keep the lower step underwater.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I agree with @shemandr that the boat will list when boarding from the sides of the boat, but easily countered balanced by shifting on board crew to the opposite side. We have one of these for emergencies or adding extra rungs to the permanently mount ladder on the H30. Seadog Folding Ladder Five Step Rope

This ladder folds up into a plastic bag and simply ties off on a cleat, rail, or winch.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
All great suggestions. The stand off ladders are easier to use. You need the ladder to be deep enough in the water for the individuals boarding can get their weight on the bottom step and lift their behinds above the bottom step.

Rope ladders can be a challenge, in that as you step onto them in the water, your feet swing under the boat and your angle of ascent has your bottom below your feet. The challenge is similar to a climber trying to climb an over hanging rock face from underneath and upside down.

Rope ladders are better than nothing and they are easy to store. Fixed ladders are easier to climb but often use up a lot of limited boat space.

Another of those "Boat compromise" issues only the skipper and crew can decide what is best.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
All great suggestions. The stand off ladders are easier to use. You need the ladder to be deep enough in the water for the individuals boarding can get their weight on the bottom step and lift their behinds above the bottom step.

Rope ladders can be a challenge, in that as you step onto them in the water, your feet swing under the boat and your angle of ascent has your bottom below your feet. The challenge is similar to a climber trying to climb an over hanging rock face from underneath and upside down.

Rope ladders are better than nothing and they are easy to store. Fixed ladders are easier to climb but often use up a lot of limited boat space.

Another of those "Boat compromise" issues only the skipper and crew can decide what is best.
In fact, I was working with a rope ladder today. You are right, they are "different."

The key is to use your hamstrings to pull the ladder under your center of mass. The best rope ladders are narrow, so you can get them right up between your legs. Sometimes puting your heel in the rung from the reverse side works. I tend to alternate front-back.

But the KEY is get the ladder close and getting your feet UNDER you. If it is like an overhang, you are doing it wrong. You should have very little weight on your arms, and your top foot should be right back under your but cheek in the rest position.

Jul 13, 2021
O’Day 15 ft Hudson River
Thank you all. It’s for kids so I don’t have to counterbalance and pull them up and in. It’s a tough go with no hand grabs so simply trying to make everyone’s lives a little easier.