Swim Ladder Installation

Feb 6, 2016
Has anyone installed a transom mounted swim ladder?
I would really like to add one, but not sure how difficult the task would be.
Is a backing plate necessary?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Not that I ever did this myself but reading a lot of stuff on various online message boards make me believe that you definitely need a backer board...

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
The factory installs the ladder before the deck is placed on the hull. After-market typically needs to add an access port in the fuel locker.

The transom is relatively thin (~ 3/16") and needs extra backing material to spread the point load when 300 lbs of a wet clothed person tries to climb in while semi-paniced.

Simple screws will pull through the fiberglass. Bolts with large fender washers are sufficient although a bracket like the one for the outboard motor mount is preferred. To access the bolts and nuts, a large access port can be put into the rear of the fuel locker and stay out of sight.

Another alternative if you get the ladder that mounts only at the top is to bolt through the entire transom/cockpit. Make sure the mounting hardware gives sufficient clearance to open the fuel locker. The other disadvantage is that the ladder will be about 3 inches higher and may make it more difficult for some people to get their foot on the bottom rung when accidentally thrown overboard.

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I did it on my S2 7.9... best suggestion is to install a beckson port on the inside directly behind where you'd want to mount the bolts for the ladder.

You definitely want a backer plate, or board. I epoxied a board.

Wanna get REALLY useful, install speakers into the beckson ports, it makes it easy to take the speakers out, and each of these 2 beckson ports gives me nice access to something, on starboard it's my swim ladder, on port its my motor mount.