Swim Ladder Change

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Ok so due to covid we are spending a lot more time on the boat (great way to social distance) and a lot more time anchored out and swimming. My wife has decided that she hates the swim ladder that came with the boat. It is the three step collapsible model that I am sure is on many Hunter models. She would like at least 4 steps so it goes lower into the water and easier to reach handles. I have looked and several candidates to replace the ladder. Such as the 4 step version of the same ladder but it's to big to fit in the recess built into the transom. I looked at a big 4 step model with tall looping handles that she would have loved but the again the recess in the transom makes it impossible to mount level with out lots of modification work. I'd love one like the Catalina's have that would fold up and become the center closure for the stern pulpit but have not found one that will fit. When I expressed frustration she said why not ask the 90,000 Hunter owners many who may have already fixed this problem for advise.

So here is your chance to impress her anybody made a swim ladder change out that you now love?

swim ladder.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Great post! We have the same ladder and it is tough on the feet as well. I wrapped line around the steps for better grip and softer step, but we need something with wider steps and, as your wife's idea, more steps.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Rick
Thanks for reminding me she also would like that ladder and the step rungs to be wider as well.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
There are swim folding swim ladders on the market that you pull out of a "drawer" like recess. You could install one of those and create a new "floor" above it. This solves the problem of the limited space of the 3 steps.